Other Ski Question, Moving To Seattle

Decision Made, cost me $600
IMG_5083Medium.jpg

Well I made it, 4 blown tires and 2 worn tires

The stock tires made it to 40 miles south of Chicago, I think I hit a bump and over-pressured the passenger tire and thus the sidewall blew. I threw on the spare that came with the trailer, I'll call it spare 1. I bought a spare at tractor supply, I'll call it spare 2, didn't get it mounted but had it in case...
Spare 1 made it to 7 miles east of Miles City, MT. It was the spare that came with the trailer. Treat separated due to excessive heating, 4-ply tire.
Got spare 2 installed on rim in Miles City, the tech screwed up the bead. Spare 2 made it to 7 miles west of miles city, blowout was at 5:30pm, by the time I got to town all the shops were closed thus forcing me to stay in Miles City, great place. In the morning I bought spare 3 and had it installed on the rim at their shop. It was a 10-ply to handle the load better.

I made it to 40 miles west of Billings when the original drivers side tire flew the coop, actually it overheated and ballooned up but still held air. Since the tires are mounted under a flatbed trailer clearance is at a premium and it immediately started smoking thus I knew it was shot. Had to drive back 32 miles for the nearest replacement 10-ply tires, spares 3 & 4. Spare 3 made it to the east side of 4th of July pass near Spokane, WA when it started smoking, I though it had ballooned and was rubbing the top deck. This happened at 9:45pm and I had plans to crash at one of my mothers friends places 15 miles away so I removed the tire that I thought was bad and a half hour later fell fast asleep. The next morning I called around to some of the local places (I was actually in Coeur D'Alene) for a replacement 10-ply tire, The most affordable shop could get it in at 11am so I headed out with mounted spare 3 and unmounted spare 4. I had spare 4 mounted on the rim and headed out to throw it on the trailer, It made it 10 miles before it started smoking. I thought something was fishy so I headed back to the same tire shop to maybe buy the potential spare 5, however they planted the thought that maybe the springs had given up the ghost because both tires I had brought in (3 & 4) had good integrity but a worn outside. They supplied some blocks and bailing wire for me to block the axle up if the springs were droopy, they were. So I installed the blocks and made it to the shop so they could do a better job of installing the blocks. Then I made it to Seattle without a hitch but the roads were so rough I wasn't sure if the tires were shot or not but luckily they weren't.

Something must be said about some highways in Washington, they are concrete. Generally not a problem because most standard concrete has small gravel for filler, in Washington they use gravel the size of golf-balls or larger. It is laid out smooth at first but then then as it wears the concrete erodes away leaving a gravel proud rough surface.

All told, 2860 miles on my truck since Sunday the 16th, it performed flawlessly. I did baby it never pulling at more than 2500 rpm even on the steeper mountain passes, 4 of them with elevation changes over 1000 ft in one continuous hill. Fuel MPG was between 14 and 17, not to shabby when the epa city/highway is 16/19 and I was hauling about 4000lbs total in truck + trailer load on top of the vehicle weight so it was actually the same engine hauling 2 trucks worth of weight and aerodynamic drag which was considerable re: 6% down grade and I would stabilize at 64mph

Very fun thread good thing you stayed calm and got it done. Props on the new place new job and possitive attitude. I look forward to seeing some pice of your new riding spot or the new crew you get with. Spare tire story funny.

Crab

thanks darin...noswad!
Ha, glad you made it to our sometimes crappy roads...On a good note friday was my first day at Boeing.

Top Bottom