Custom/Hybrid ski security-what do you do?

A very sensitive and protective dog, with a thick cable/lock through the bow eye and my truck tailgate backed all the way up to the garage...oh and a 1911...I'm not a heavy sleeper either and my room is over the driveway..

Post all your great ideas so the thieves can read through it and plan accordingly.

Thieves will get it no matter what you do. Years ago on yfzcentral a guy posted a pic where they actually took a chainsaw and cut a hole in the side of the garage wall to get his quads.

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
Anyone have a trail cam setup? They come up cheaper and cheaper all the time. If you can't stop em from taking it, at least try to find out who it has it.

I used a Reese all weather cable lock through the bow eye and down to the trailer, and keep a tongue lock on the ball hitch. If you use two cable locks you can lock the receiver to the square tube and lock the second cable to the receiver lock cable. I used to lock my ski to the trailer by going around the drive shaft and trailer cross member but top loader intake grates make it a lot harder to do.

modularjunk

day dreaming
Site Supporter
cables locks and chains are all good for some one grabbing the ski and going. But no one has posted anything about locking their hoods and pumps their most expensive things there. Hand tools which make no noise you can take a big $$$ motor and pump set up in no time making no noise esp with 2 people.

with that being said with my skis i always ran a cable through the front bow eye over the hood tight n to the rear of the ski/pump. and also chain around driveshaft to trailer its a quick deterrent for petty thieves, but anyone going after these skis now a days know what they are looking for and will do everything they can to get what they want. these guys have balls of steel steeling :):):):) now and dont care about much inc getting caught. so do what u can dont let it outta your site and pray at night that nothing happens to anyones skis.

JT_Freeride

John Tetenes @Jtetenes
What about an old iPhone and stash it far into the nose foam. If your ski is gone in the morning then use the find my iPhone app and boom you got your ski. As for pumps and motors. I seems like there's nothing you can do.

Hand grenade with the pin pulled stuffed between the hull and the bunks, just have to remember its there in the morning...

TontoM3

Manager of Gnar Shredding activities
Sounds like a similar problem people used to have all the time with cars. just like people use a security lug for their rims on cars and trucks, why not replace an engine mount or two with a weird tool head like a star-bit or something. Same for the pump. Seems like a viable option.

JT_Freeride

John Tetenes @Jtetenes
Sounds like a similar problem people used to have all the time with cars. just like people use a security lug for their rims on cars and trucks, why not replace an engine mount or two with a weird tool head like a star-bit or something. Same for the pump. Seems like a viable option.

That's a perfect idea. I will give you royalties when I make the first batch

Given the recent theft and history of skis being stolen the past few years, I am wondering who does what to secure their ski while at a hotel?

I use a logging chain padlocked to truck bed anchors and my tow hook/bow eye and I have even ran it up and around my driveshaft for extra warm and fuzzies. I know it could be cut but it would take multiple cuts and be a huge, time consuming project.

Who can top it without an enclosed trailer?

I really want to hear because I want my ski as secure as possible.

I plan on hiring two rent a cops 24/7 at Daytona. They will be posted at the bow and stern. If any suspicious activity is observed ,they will be instructed to draw their flashlights and yell " Hey what are you kids doing over there ! Get outta here .... don't make me call my supervisor .

Hope this helps

Last edited:

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
Print out a pic of you in your tighty whitey's from last year and post that on your skis. I know I wouldn't mess with that guy.

modularjunk

day dreaming
Site Supporter
another serious idea. is getting an aftermarket car alarm and making a self contained unit with a battery and a shock sensor/ proximity sensor. could be made very small and put in the engine bay. any movement of the ski and it will go off. and you can have remote controlls just like a car to hit a panic button if u see someone near the ski or to deactivate the alarm in the morning.

It may seem like a stupid idea but I have done some searches for a "security tarp" for those of us without enclosed trailers. This would be a heavy duty tarp (not something you can cut with a box cutter) that you could wrap over your ski and secure with a chain or cable underneath and around the bunk/trailer.

This way you have double protection from the ski being lifted off the trailer along with ensuring no one come along with a wrench and walks away with you parts/hood etc...

CRJ

Hibernating
Ive got a GPS tracker buried somewhere in my SJ, i like that car alarm idea, though i think you wouldnt hear it being in a sealed hood.

another serious idea. is getting an aftermarket car alarm and making a self contained unit with a battery and a shock sensor/ proximity sensor. could be made very small and put in the engine bay. any movement of the ski and it will go off. and you can have remote controlls just like a car to hit a panic button if u see someone near the ski or to deactivate the alarm in the morning.

they have those for motorcycles....

Top Bottom