SX/SXi/SXi Pro Ski won't start again after riding for awhile

This happens every time I go out. I pull the ski off the trailer, starts right up. Drive around the lake for a bit, drop the ski off at the beach. Then I try and start the ski again after about 1 min, won't start.

I bypassed the water running to the temp sensor because I thought that was the problem. Thinking it was a temp sensor issue, I sometimes would pour a bunch of cold water over the outside of the ebox to cool it down after I have been riding for awhile when it won't start, and then magically it starts right up again. If I don't do this, the ski will not start again (at least not for like 24 hours).

Last weekend I took the ski out, pulled the lanyard off when I fell off and it would not start again for the rest of the afternoon. Then I let the ski sit for week, and it starts right up.

I'm thinking this is an electrical/heat related issue because when the ski is cold it starts right up no problem. I have a new battery and new start/stop switch. Anyone have this problem before? I don't want to have to go through and test all the electrical components if I don't have too..:ugh:

Last edited:
Unfortunately you may have to test everything, much cheaper then replacing everything :) but i had a very similar issue and it turned out to be a wire on the stator had separated. I'd take your stator off and inspect it. If you have a volt meter, test each lead from the stator to the ebox plug and wiggle the wires as you do to see if the resistance changes at all.

sounds like a coil issue, it is common for coils to fail when hot but work fine cold. typically this issue dosent last long before total failure.

Thanks for the input. Tank valve is good. I Think I'm going to just replace the coil and try that first. Who knows how old the electronics in this thing are.

b.lee

Team Cheeseburger
If it runs great all the way up to the point that you decide to turn it off and take a break.... I'd think its water getting into the cylinders.
I'd pull the head after riding it and letting it sit for a minute.... see if there is signs of water intrusion

Although poring the cold water on the ebox is weird ... have you done this multiple times and it starts every time after poring water on the ebox?

Last edited:

King Kang

Never enough tray time...
My mind always goes back to the ss switch....even though yours is new. If my ski sits too long, I have to mess with my ss switch to get it going again. Maybe some water is messing with yours? The ss switch is probably one of the easiest things to troubleshoot on the beach. Just unplug the ss switch wires at the connection shortly before they go into your ebox. The act of unplugging these wires should start your ski immediately. Good luck.

JamesG

Site Supporter
the stator will cause it not to start, but stator's aren't usually so fickle to sometimes start and other times not. In my experience it stays consistent.
the regulator/rectifier will cause a battery drain, it will essentially seem like you have a crap battery and barely turn over after one ride. this can be fickle tho (happened to me)
the coil will usually just cause the ski to run like crap or start then turn off when throttled. of course, when the coil cools off, the issue will sometimes disappear until the heat expands it again. also fickle

I think it's one of those 3, but the coil is inexpensive and a good spare part to have regardless. So I would try swapping that first.

Magyar68

Really!!!
So I guess we should ask are you going to try to troubleshoot this using a Meter, or Swapping out parts? Meters are Relatively Cheap, but if you have no experience you will have to learn to use it. And we need to get you the Readings for the Ignition/Electrical system. Also post up what year SX you are working with.

Finally got around to taking the ebox apart and the fly wheel cover off to take a look around. Stator looks ok, some wired discoloring though I'm not sure if this is normal. The cdi box looks like it might be the problem, it looks kinda melted. Does this look normal? Ski is a 96sxi.

Attachments

• IMG_0595.jpg
    IMG_0595.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0596.jpg
    IMG_0596.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0597.jpg
    IMG_0597.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 24
Nope bought it used about 2 years ago. Yeah, it does look like oil, not sure what would cause that. I'm thinking about just replacing all the ebox components, this thing is so old I'm sure something else will crap out here shortly anyways.

Magyar68

Really!!!
not sure what would cause that
Couple of things, Many people have mistaken the drain plug on the stator case for an oil plug, and filled it full of oil.. Also the front Seal leaking just a little at a time, if you can see behind the flywheel and see if its worse closer to the seal. The CDI at least from the Picture you posted doesn't look that bad, I have 2 that have the characteristic look.
I would test it 1st. As you do this you may be compelled to cut wires, you almost never have to cut any of the wires. those 3 and 4 prong Molex connectors are Field completely serviceable.
Had this same issue in 2012 on my pro, took 12 weeks to obtain a new stator, thinking back I would have used JSS and had my bad stator Re-wound. Pull down the manual and review how the Connectors come apart. and the Procedure for testing the Elec. system. Good Luck.

Top Bottom