skis in the back of a truck

Mouthfulloflake

ISJWTA member #2
OK, so going to this southern fried ride thing, a LONG drive for the wife and I, I dont want to hassle with my trailer.

I plan to rent an extended cab full sized truck and put 2 squarenose skis ( or a square nose and an FX1 in the back)

how will they fit?

square nose is about what 7'2" long?

truck bed is 6.5 feet according to the dude at Enterprise.

gate down and strap them in? does this work?

anyone got pics? ideas?
suggestions?

demolition_x

Not After Fame & Fortune
thats how i have done it with one ski. some people i have seen made it to the ass end of the ski sits above the tailgate with some 2x6's so the tailgate closes and you can store some stuff in the back. but if your renting a truck idk if thats really an option.

Boris

The Good Old Days
It shouldn't be a problem as long as you make some bunks that will raise the skis up above the wheel arches.
You could store crap underneath the skis.

For the price of a rental you could get your trailer to look spiffy. :biggthumpup:

side by side with the gate down.... worst case you might have to put 2x4s under one so the bond rails can overlap. I've had round and 650sx in my Avy and only had to tilt one a little to squeeze the other over the rails. The Avy is probably narrower then your avg. full size due to the side compartments also.

Mouthfulloflake

ISJWTA member #2
cool ideas, thanks guys!

Boris,

I dont trust my wifes POS chevy tahoe for the trip, and my toyota 4runner doesnt like the interstate ( big tires, 4 banger..) MGB wont pull a trailer or haul 4 people, and the bike is not an option.

:biggthumpup:

Mouthfulloflake

ISJWTA member #2
now the next thing, they told me it would be a silverado, or f150 or nissan titan.

anyone here have these trucks in extended cab varieties?

I need measurements!
im google searching right now, not finding everything I need to know!

Boris

The Good Old Days
You sure the bike wouldn't work ?? :biggrin:

If I go my crappy $1000 Caddy will be pulling a fully loaded trailer all the way there. The only problem is that the speed limiter cuts in at 125 so it will be a long drive. :biggthumpup:

Rezalb8891

Kustom Works
i have a colorado and i can fit standups in it just fine you my have to lean one but chances are with a fullsize you wont and my truck has a half way setting on the tailgate that helps alot putting the ski in backwards helped me

Mouthfulloflake

ISJWTA member #2
thanks for that info!

wife is worried it wont work, im just worried about a headache since I wont see the vehicle until the morning before we leave.

looks very workable though.

:woot:

i have a colorado and i can fit standups in it just fine you my have to lean one but chances are with a fullsize you wont and my truck has a half way setting on the tailgate that helps alot putting the ski in backwards helped me

Mouthfulloflake

ISJWTA member #2
I thought of that, but man, I need to work on the trailer for a trip that far, AND I hate pulling it on the interstate. it makes me VERY tired, and wife isnt much help driving at night, so Id rather strap it all in the back, and set the cruise on 95 and blast the tunes.

You sure the bike wouldn't work ?? :biggrin:

If I go my crappy $1000 Caddy will be pulling a fully loaded trailer all the way there. The only problem is that the speed limiter cuts in at 125 so it will be a long drive. :biggthumpup:

accbr

addicted
We've put a SJ and 750sx in the back of a Dodge full size. They fit between the fender wells. It has an 8 foot bed so we could close the tailgate too. A 6 foot bed would work fine with the tailgate down. It was kind of a pain putting them back in there at the end of the day when we were tired. Them standups are hard to ride. :biggrin:

Mouthfulloflake

ISJWTA member #2
the truck is a rental, Ill back it into the lake.

:biggrin:

We've put a SJ and 750sx in the back of a Dodge full size. They fit between the fender wells. It has an 8 foot bed so we could close the tailgate too. A 6 foot bed would work fine with the tailgate down. It was kind of a pain putting them back in there at the end of the day when we were tired. Them standups are hard to ride. :biggrin:

Well I was going to post that a Dodge will fit a round nose and a kawi 750 flat in the bed without touching bond rails in the middle. They have about 1/2 inch clearance. Any full size truck would work. If you can get a piece of plywood in a truck bed then the skis will fit.

SJKny had 2 in his avy and they are only 49 inches wide. The bond rails will be over the wheel wells of a truck and with the Avalanche the bed side is straight.

Look for a long bed then you can shut the tailgate. I would look for more gas mileage since you won't be hot rodding it down the interstate with your precious cargo.. The skis

I just looked at google images at beds and the wheel wells in the titan look tiny so they wouldn't get in the way of bump rails.

accbr

addicted
That's what we did too, but his tailgate is about 4 feet off the ground. The bed gets wet. You bust your a$$ trying to pull the things in there. They pull you back in the lake. You cuss. I'm sure it was fun to watch. :haha:

the truck is a rental, Ill back it into the lake.

:biggrin:

Ummm that is what my buddy done with his dodge we would put the skis in his truck and go to the lake and at the end of the day he would back the truck in the lake and I would literaly ride the skis into the back of the truck... the thing to watch is wait a few moments after the tail lights go under bacaus you can't see it but the tailgate is floating just under the water it is a bitch it smack that thing and it throw you over the bars in to the truck bed while everyone it watching.

Ask the StLouis crew the first time I went riding with they we came back to the camp site and my buddy opened his door on his truck and water ran out.. He is such a spazz

aqua

the taco
dude....you will be fine....just get a full size.....here is my 5.5 ft bed with an sxr and a 650 side by side. just strap the backs of them so they cant come out and put some turf under the ride plates so that it doesnt scratch the tailgate. as you know the sxr is a couple of inches wider than an sj and these fit fine.

Attachments

• IMG_2117int.jpg
    IMG_2117int.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 141

Snackem

Danger Zone
I'd just throw the two ski's in the back they should fit side by side in almost any fullsize truck. Leave the tailgate down and tie them in, you be :bigok:

Rickster

Matakana Menace
Two SJ's will fit in a full size (non flair side) F-150 with no problems. Waterfreak carries his two ski's this way all the time.:biggthumpup:

Top Bottom