Small waterbox option

swapmeet

Brotastic
Alright, I'm buying a FX1 hull that has had the nose/ rocker shortened and reshaped. (Superjetbrett's Hull)

I don't think the stock waterbox will fit because of the modification.

So I have two questions:
1: Where would I find an aftermarket waterbox that is smaller than stock?

2: How difficult would it be to fabricate my own waterbox out of Alumium?

The few that i've opened up are pretty simple, just a box with an input and an output.
Are there any 'rules of thumb' when it comes to making one?

Or are aftermarket ones cheap enough that its not worth trying to build one?

The TDR's are one option, and there is also the ever rare "Aquamuff"... Or I could just make my own...

Ideas?

Waternut

Customizing addict
My SN FP waterbox is just an open box with two tubes in it. I believe the tubes go inside of the box about an inch or two so that the sound bangs around inside the box before exiting. The exit is on top. It's pretty quiet and only slightly louder than stock but it's almost the size of a stock box too so that may help dampen the sound more than a smaller one. Berky makes a pretty small carbon fiber waterbox as well. I think the TDR's are loud as sh*t!

One thing to think about is water injection. If you have to have a small tube for a waterbox, you can tap a barb onto it and maybe run it with a jetworks FCV to help quiet it down. If I remember correctly, you're a metals guy. If that's true, you may be able weld in some perforated sheet/tubing between the outlets and have some open air around that tube to help dampen it.

swapmeet

Brotastic
I don't want to drop $235 on something I can make from $60 worth of materials.

Its worth the trouble just for the satisfaction of knowing I made it myself.
If I could buy something premade for maybe $100 or less than it might be worth it.

swapmeet

Brotastic
Back to construction, when water comes out of your exhaust, does the water box fill up to the height of the outlet, and then get pushed out?

I'm just trying to understand where the position of the outlet needs to be if I do need to build one.

The outlet pipe should be close enough to the bottom to vacuum out water at full throttle. This concept is lost in most aftermarket boxes, they tend to hold water and still make a lot of noise. I would install a small drain on any box that didnt dry out quickly. I think modifying one of the smaller Seadoo 720 boxes is the easiest for what you get. An HX box is oval with inlets and outlets on the same side for an easy front exhaust. The 94-95 X2 boxes have 2" bungs and a flat bottom mount, also great for front exhaust.

Last edited:

Waternut

Customizing addict
I'm with you man. I want a new waterbox just because mine has 1.75" inlet and outlet so I'm sure that's hurting my performance. Plus since the outlet is directly on top, that thing always has 3-4lbs of water in it when I pull it out. My problem is, I'm having a hard time parting with $200+ for a shiney metal box with tubes on the sides or even a carbon fiber box with tubes on the side. If enough people swear one waterbox increases power, I may go for it. If not, I'm seriously considering $30 worth of fiberglass and resin and some time in the shop and hoping for the best. I can do a lot of trial and error for $230.

turboracer

I knew that was important
Those little resontators did not help with noise on mine much at all. They seemed to only take the edge off of the high pitch buzz. There is no packing in the outside tube. I think if you cut one open and stuffed it full of fiberglass or stainless steel wool around the perferated inner tube then they would work better.

Those straight through resonators like the Coffman's are gonna be loud. I added one to my ski along with an a/m waterbox and rear exhaust. With both installed it was just bearable. Either one by itself and my ears were bleeding and everyone on the river was getting pissy. Im looking for a small, slightly louder than stock, affordable box for my Stunt hull as well but I'm finding out that there has to be a sacrafice on one of the three :(

Last edited:

swapmeet

Brotastic
Hmmm there are a lot of waterboxes on eBay off Polaris and other couches that look fairly small for around $100. But from what i've read the inlet/ outlet is much bigger than my B-Pipe.

I'm still kinda thinking about building one at this point. I dunno...

A stock 94-95 X-2 box is hard to beat for front exhaust. They are also the best designed and built box that I have come across, all for $70 new.

steve-uk

Manners cost nothing
A stock 94-95 X-2 box is hard to beat for front exhaust. They are also the best designed and built box that I have come across, all for $70 new.

that sounds like great option

i think for the fx1 the outlets maybe in the wrong place, but for that price you could cut and re weld

swapmeet

Brotastic
LOL Steve... you brits and your metric system! Makin me do conversions... so much work LOL!
I'll hit you up on that.

I've considered doing a front/ side exhaust on mine. I've got to get my tubbies installed first and then see what I have to work with.

Top Bottom