Super Jet sn 701 sj handling

went out today for the first time on my totally stock 701 sn i previously had a kawa 650 sx stock with ride plate intake grate i would say the 650 handled better would adding a ride plate make a big difference or maybe i need to ride it a bit more

SJBrit

Extraordinary Alien
What are referring to when you say "handled better"? Superjets do indeed handle very differently from a Kawasaki - they certainly don't carve turns like a Kawasaki does. For sure riding more will help, but if you want to make it handle like the Kawasaki then you'll be making some hull mods (rideplate, yes, but sponsons too if you want it to carve). Having said that, the fact that you traded green for blue suggest that you are thinking more about freestlye than buoys, so my advice would be to spend some time getting used to your Superjet and in time you will understand why it's the better hull for freestyle.

There is a ton you can do to adjust the boat to your riding style. Many years ago I made the same swap from a 650sx to a SN 701. Initially I could ride my 650 a lot better. It takes some time to adjust to the riding style but once you do you will never look back.

A Good intake grate and prop. are wise investments in a Superjet.

this ski is in mint condtion not a scratch compression 135 as per manual totaly stock ran great there is 2 smal dings in the prop which is also stock but it did not turn as good as the 650sx in a straight line bounced more when i went slow to dead stop then gave it full throtle expected it to jump out of the water a bit more than the 650 but there was little difference i did feel akward for a start i seemed to be riding a bit more foreward i go riding myself as there is no one else hence the basic questions i sold my 1989 650 for 670 pounds and bought the 1995 for 870 pounds which is 300 dollar difference in your money so i can spend a bit there is a protec intake i can get for 60 dollars and a solas prop for 80 dollars or as you have said more practise full day out tomorrow
any input would be great
thx again

SJBrit

Extraordinary Alien
Worx 201 grate makes a big difference on a Superjet, as does a quick turn mod. It's fairly easy to move the steering pivot inwards on the nozzle to give you much more steering throw - makes a WORLD of difference. You'll have to clearance the back of the nozzle to get it to clear the reduction nozzle for full throw. Definitely get rid of that stock prop - they are junk. What pitch is the Solas you can get?

Superjets don't turn very well - the back end is loose and it will spin-out if you try to turn too agressively (that's one of the characteristics that makes it a great freestyle ski though). Just spend some time on it and you'll start to get a feel for it.

Yeah, that 13/19 would be too much prop IMO.
A skat swirl 12/15 or a solas Concord 13/15 13/16 would be ideal options.

The steering mod is a good cheap thing to do like SJBrit said. However, you really just need to spend more time riding the boat. The stock prop SUCKS so if you want a little more power a prop will go a long ways. A new intake grate will help you stay hooked up so it bounces and cavitates less. I agree with sjbrit that the worx 201 would be my first choice. There are others that would work decent though.

should have kept my mouth shut went out today and burned of a tank of fuel it was night and day the difference have nt changed nothing yet ,,just a bit more practice probably the most enjoyable day i have had on a ski

IMG_0072.jpg
pencil.png

Waternut

Customizing addict
Don't worry man. Most people that go from any kawi to a SJ don't like them immediately because of the differences in handling characteristics. You'll enjoy it. Just read up on some of the vast knowledge on this forum and you'll get an idea of what you may want next.

I also just picked up a SJ about 3 weeks ago. At first it was really tough, the first couple times I went out I had no problem getting up but porpoising and cavitation were a real issue. After a couple more days of riding and learning better throttle control and riding position I noticed a huge difference. Now I'm pulling 180's and turn subs, and can carve up though buoys no problem. Give yourself a couple of weeks and you'll have it down.

I'm also going to upgrade to a swirl impeller and worx 201 as soon as I can, the stock power feels like more than enough if it could just hook up! Right now it only has ODI grips, the steering throw mod (on the steering bracket and nozzle), and bilge. Definitely do the steering mod, it does make a nice difference in being able to "flick" the ski or even transition.

Really nice looking decals BTW!

Last edited:
Top Bottom