Snapped Handle Pole - Fix Ideas

Help again,
Once again today i broke my handle pole off. I can only cut it down so much before im riding on the bow. You will notice that in one of the pictures i am pointing at a nice crack i put in the bracket from over extending the pole the first break. I got a limiter rope on there now but twice more i blew out the rivets. This last time i ran some bolts through the entire bracket (shown) but still ripped it from the glass. 1) Any ideas how to fix this without buying a new pole? (no cash for it right now) 2) Any one have a factory bracket for me to replace the broken one? How much? Thank for all the support past and pres and future. JD

Attachments

• 2009_08100003.jpg
    2009_08100003.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 78
  • 2009_08100001.jpg
    2009_08100001.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 76
  • 2009_08100013.jpg
    2009_08100013.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 90
id say its time for a new pole
Id agree but yesterday i bought a new head and monkey grips and today i broke it or i would of switched my priorities. was not expecting the bolt idea to give way. cant afford a pole this month. i need some ideas. And couldnt that happen to any other pole too?

stanton

High on jetskis.
you have to glue the pole to the bracket, just the rivets/bolts arent enough to hold it.
i wrapped the base and pole in fiberglass and carbon fiber.

Penken

whoomp there it is!
scaled.php

epoxied/rivot'd ends, built up pole with biax to match level of aluminum ends, another layer of biax over the ends, then layer of carbon/kevlar to finish it off.

Can't tell from pics, but also made a fiberglass plug of the inside of the top of the pole (aluminum piece) and bonded it into the end and top of fiberglass portion of pole. So, in effect the fiberglass core goes all the way to teh end of the pole instead of the stupid 1" interference fit the factory gives it......bullet proof!

Attachments

• DSCN0235.jpg
    DSCN0235.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 66
  • DSCN0251.jpg
    DSCN0251.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 68

SuperJETT

So long and thanks for all the fish
J-B Weld, but make sure you grind the bracket down to bare metal inside and grind the pole section down past the gelcoat so the J-B is bonding the structural materials.

IMO, the rivets/whatever you use are just to hold it while the J-B sets. I ran mine that way for over 7 seasons, both top and bottom and never had a problem.

Big Kahuna

Administrator
J-B Weld, but make sure you grind the bracket down to bare metal inside and grind the pole section down past the gelcoat so the J-B is bonding the structural materials.

IMO, the rivets/whatever you use are just to hold it while the J-B sets. I ran mine that way for over 7 seasons, both top and bottom and never had a problem.

Just like Jett described.

the point of 5200 is that it is strong adhesive and it will flex and take shock better than epoxy....it is working for me...Yamaha puts it together with a flexible adhesive...

Last edited:

Penken

whoomp there it is!
the way you bolted it may have caused the break. because the plastic piece of the pole can still flex in the braket and put all the strain on the adhesive. you should have used bolts with nyloc nuts on the inside.
so instead of using 2 bolts you should have used 4.

when you bolt stuff it´s not only the bolt that holds the part in place. it´s the friction from the surfaces. and when you use bolts like you did you get minimum friction.

tom21

havin fun
I had a broken bottom bracket with about a 1 3/4 chunk of metal cracked out of it. I epoxied the pole in and used rivets to hold it in place, and then wrapped it about four inches up the pole and completely around the bracket. its -4 and has been holding up for 3 years+. if you are landing on the pole the limiting rope is not going to hold, its only meant to stop the pole on a throw away not to hold back you falling on it.

Top Bottom