Super Jet So i didnt want to pay so i made..need advice bilge bracket

So i didnt want to spend 50+ on my bilge bracket so i made one. Now the way it sits now i have it at just under 1/2 inch off the bottom, i can probably get it a little closer. Just wondering how far off the hull should i have it sitting?

DSC_0249-2.jpg

DSC_0248-3.jpg

Last edited:
i know most people glue them down lol. I was seeing if i "should" get them lower. anyways i just bent it more, got it to where its only about 1/8 an inch or so from the hull to the top of the plate. "should" be good.

Tyler Zane

Open Your Eyes
even when glued to the bottom it cant get all the water out. there is always an inch or so when i get home. your just going to have that much more with the space under the bracket and thickness of the bracket. high five for making your own bracket but just epoxy them down...

Last edited:
The thickness of the bracket is about one tenth of an inch thick so yeah, got it fairly low, i would estimate less then 1/5 inch total to the top of the plate

Last edited:
this should clear it up for you

"Q: On your web site you have indicated that aluminum and carbon fibre react so as to cause cathodic corrosion. Is this also the case with steel or cromoly steel and carbon fibre?

A: Yes, it is a problem with steels as well as with aluminum alloys. The easy solution is to prevent contact. One way to do this is to include a single light ply of fiberglass in the layup as an electrical insulator between the metal and carbon. Trek did this with their bonded aluminum lug carbon tube bikes. Specialized did too, and Kestrel uses small patches of fiberglass in the fork and frame where metal parts attach. Aerospace structures do the same. See NASA's document TM-584C, CORROSION CONTROL AND TREATMENT MANUAL."

"Q: On your web site you have indicated that aluminum and carbon fibre react so as to cause cathodic corrosion. Is this also the case with steel or cromoly steel and carbon fibre?

A: Yes, it is a problem with steels as well as with aluminum alloys. The easy solution is to prevent contact. One way to do this is to include a single light ply of fiberglass in the layup as an electrical insulator between the metal and carbon. Trek did this with their bonded aluminum lug carbon tube bikes. Specialized did too, and Kestrel uses small patches of fiberglass in the fork and frame where metal parts attach. Aerospace structures do the same. See NASA's document TM-584C, CORROSION CONTROL AND TREATMENT MANUAL."

cool where is this off of?

Stainless isn't a problem but aluminum is not high on the nobility chart and will give up electrons ( corrosion ) .

he's dead on. lets say if you took a carbon nut or washer and left it on a peice of stainless and it got wet the stainless would rust. even if you scratch the stainless with carbon it will rust. carbon and stainless dont mix well toghter.

i would just glue the pumps down.

edit:but then again i dont see how the carbonfiber would make it rust because the carbonfiber is laminated

Last edited:
Top Bottom