So long big bore....

yamanube

This Is The Way
Staff member
Finally got my ski running great, awesome power and a nice flat torque curve that was super nice to ride. Then I get some engine noise and pull it in to find low compression on the mag cylinder. To twist the knife it submerges while towing and fills with water....not that it really matters though because I found that one of my rod bearings went through the topend and smashed it up. Now Im broke and outta comission...3 weeks before our ride. :crying:

Attachments

• CIMG2945.jpg
    CIMG2945.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 121
  • CIMG2955.jpg
    CIMG2955.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 97
  • CIMG2956.jpg
    CIMG2956.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 99
  • CIMG2957.jpg
    CIMG2957.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 73
  • CIMG2958.jpg
    CIMG2958.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 65

yamanube

This Is The Way
Staff member
Ouch. Too many times i have been down that road. I buy all new parts now, it costs allot more and it takes forever for me to save but i feel better while riding.

Yeah I am trying to scrape up some money to buy a used 701 to throw in to get on the water quickly to finish out the season and will rebuild the BB over winter with new parts.

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
Ouch. Too many times i have been down that road. I buy all new parts now, it costs allot more and it takes forever for me to save but i feel better while riding.

x2

I bought a BB topend advertised as fresh bored, honed, ready to go with 84mm piston kit.
It ended up being too big for even 84.5mm pistons.
Used parts suck (sometimes)

SXRguyinMA

Life's a beach
looks like detonation to me (from too-high compression, too-low octane, etc), not a rod bearing, the flame fronts collide in the combution chamber giving you knock and subsequently blowing chunks of aluminum out of the piston. I think if it were a rod bearing it'd be worse. But then again I haven't seen the rod/crank so I cant say for sure

Big Kahuna

Administrator
looks like detonation to me (from too-high compression, too-low octane, etc), not a rod bearing, the flame fronts collide in the combution chamber giving you knock and subsequently blowing chunks of aluminum out of the piston. I think if it were a rod bearing it'd be worse. But then again I haven't seen the rod/crank so I cant say for sure

Foreign object damage......... detonation is not going to engrave gouges like that, but bits of metal will. Front piston looks totally different....

yamanube

This Is The Way
Staff member
So those large chunks of steel that are stuck in the piston and dome would be from what? I was also running 50% 92 octain and 50%110 race gas to prevent deto. And that rod is missing 50% of the bearings.

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter

Wrong, sorry.

SXRguyinMA

Life's a beach
If you all read my entire post I said I havent seen the rod so I cant say for sure, from a wuick look at the pics that it what it looked like to me, NOW THAT I KNOW the rod is missing some of the bearings its obvious, but I did not know that fact when I made the original post :nutkick:

SuperJETT

So long and thanks for all the fish
If you all read my entire post I said I havent seen the rod so I cant say for sure, from a wuick look at the pics that it what it looked like to me, NOW THAT I KNOW the rod is missing some of the bearings its obvious, but I did not know that fact when I made the original post :nutkick:

If you look at the pics, you can see pieces of needle bearings in the head.

Top Bottom