Other So two years ago who would have thought

FlightPlanDan

Don'tTrustAfartAfter50
Honest question: we've all heard that Yama & Kawi will cease production of stand-ups. We knew it was coming. Not just because the environmentalists.....They just don't sell enough of them.

Will the laws that are causing Yama & Kawi to bail affect after-market dealers such as x-scream and superfreak? (I know Berky can make all the hulls he wishes, but with 4 strokes?)

Will you still be able to "build" a killer ski?

WFO pointed out that things are changing rapidly...

Waternut

Customizing addict
Aftermarket stuff is already priced way better than it was even 3 years ago. Hull prices are much more affordable and there are a lot more to choose from as well.

As for x-games, I think it may make the sport bigger to be a part of that. However, I also think it will be incredibly annoying when every redneck in a jon boat thinks that every stand up ski can backflip. Then your piddly butt goes to your favorite flatwater location with a heavily modded stock hull and a big bore engine and you can barely do a sub or nose stab. Nothing wrong with that in my book but all the uneducated people in regards to stand ups will think you and pretty much every rider they'll see SUCKS. At least now a nose stab or a big jump looks really cool to them and we're cheered on to go bigger.

One last thing... No one can argue that computers have exploded and are one of the fastest growing things. Think where computers were 3-5 years ago. If you want to have the best stuff out, it'll make aftermarket hulls and motors look like chump change in no time. Yet, I bet very few people on this forum have a computer that's less than a year old. I bring this up just because fast change doesn't necessary mean we have to change with it.

Last edited:
Diamond grove turf > Straight cut turf.
People would put drypipes on freestyle boats.
Joe Bloe could backflip a ski that cost less then 10K.
Yamaha would actually change the superjet!

FlightPlanDan

Don'tTrustAfartAfter50
Diamond grove turf > Straight cut turf.
People would put drypipes on freestyle boats.
Joe Bloe could backflip a ski that cost less then 10K.
Yamaha would actually change the superjet!

Change it....by, not making it anymore? I'm missing something.
A 10k or a 40k ski is useless if it's illegal.

Waternut

Customizing addict

Considering that after 3-4 years of riding, I still haven't met anyone that competes, I find it hard to believe that a "legal" ski is all that important. I would be more than happy to buy an illegal engine if it costs less than the legal engine.

TOMtoledo

Tommy Meyers
At least now a nose stab or a big jump looks really cool to them and we're cheered on to go bigger..

i completely agree, we were V wakin on my lake and laterthat night we were hanging out with some chicks and they asked if we saw those pro with helmets riding around doing big airs and doing flips, i laughed and said that was us!!! it is really nice when you can do the easy tricks and people think it amazing

swapmeet

Brotastic
Change it....by, not making it anymore? I'm missing something.

I believe the restriction is on major manufacturers. Until Jetskis are subject to emissions tests aftermarket engines should be in no danger.
Aftermarket hulls will probably be treated like kit cars. Ride at your own risk.

This could be argued either way considering the goverment ban on 2-strokes in water craft, but this is a small sport compared to the number of cars on the road and manufacturing facilities spewing CO2 into the atmosphere. They squashed our sport by banning engines, and the OEM complied. They don't have time or care to chase down the Xscreams and WDK's of the world that might sell 100 units per year.

Conversely, I don't see anyone here who's upset that they can't get a new superjet in 2012. Everyone wants a ROK, or a Superfreak, or a Rickter... or they just buy used cause thats all they can afford (this guy). Yes, were all saddened that new skis will no longer be built, but as someone stated before... who was supporting the new stand up market?

Last edited:

tom21

havin fun
what worries me is that once they ban the sale of 2 stokes the next shoe to drop will be a ban on all 2 strokes. give a little now and let it get momentum and there may be no stopping it. the argument is already made and agreed to ban new so the next step is not that big a leap. yes you can argue all you want about how many 2 strokes there are, but I hate to budge an inch and lose a mile.

I AM UPSET I WONT BE ABLE TO BUY A NEW SJ!!!!! think about how much it costs right now to build a ski when you start with nothing. hell the hardware alone is not something to scoff at. the argument can be made to buy a used ski and rob all the parts, but how long will that last? Is everyone just fine with say ten more years and then 2 strokes are banned and or you are out of parts? Im not.

If you think Im being dramatic then just sit by and calmly watch our favorite pastime slowly get taken away.

Anyone know of a Congressman who rides lol we will need help and I think sooner is better than too late.

oh and on topic jrslim was a kawi guy thru and thru- he now happily rides a sj.

Waternut

Customizing addict
2 strokes will be safe for a long time. Think of how many fisherman and other boaters still use 2 stroke outboard motors. We are a drop in the bucket compared to them. You can also be sure that the retired guys in jon boats belching smoke all the way up and down the lake will fight to their last breath to fish because they can't afford to buy a new motor. Emission tests are a joke because so many people just up their ethanol content for the test and pass with flying colors.

Top Bottom