So what's he easiest ski to ride after a SXR?

hey all.

So had a 2010 Superjet and found it a bit unstable and difficult. First stand up I'm 6ft and 14.5 stone.

Brought a 2011 SXR and loved it. I'm getting better (although still not great!).

Now need a second ski, since I'm getting better should I get a superjet again or is there another option? After market hull or otherwise. Love the look of Rickter Edge but probably last thing I need.

Probably just get a 2016 superjet as like the colours. Would but a new SXR like a shot if they still made them.

Do not ride surf, in the sea but usually when it's calm.

Help is appreciated.

mike b

Michael "Mayhem" Bevacqua aka MikeyChan
I'd say find a cheap Ricker glass hull, throw in a 701 with bpipe or even a stock exhaust if on a budget. Just get used to the hull and learning the basics. Or get a superjet. It's a good ski and great platform. It makes no sense to only ride easy hulls because then you are limited. I prefer to learn on something difficult to master and it helps build skill. Some will agree and some will disagree. Is no right answer. Depends on what you like and what you can afford. If you are just cruising around do a 701 Rickter or another SXR. Rickter is a good all around hull and if you want to learn tricks it's a great place to start

There's a few aftermarket sxr hulls out there too. Are you trying to do tricks and stuff or just riding?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Just riding, no tricks apart from some slides / spins & small jumps.

In an ideal world id ride more & learn a harder hull, thats a good point. However with working long hours, children & about 100 other important things i don't get the ride time i wish i could. Living in the Uk our season is limited also.

I see the link thank you those hulls look similar to Kawasaki so will check it out. I assume when you say aftermarket hulls are less stable you aren't referring to these?. I like factory original, but these may be a good compromise on a new SXR.

Big Kahuna

Administrator
Bullet is a race hull. It will be similar to the SXR. I would get a Superjet. I use to have both. Both have their strengths. If you want to play around, ride the SJ. if you want to rip turns or just go for long cruises then ride the SXR. Dont fall for the "You need to get an aftermarket hull". That is just going to suck $6,000 out of your pocket and then you still have to spend thousands more to put a motor and driveline in it. Paint it, Turf it...............

SXIPro

JM781 Big Bore
I'd get an older SJ. I rode an SXR and it was very easy, I ride my 2004 Superjet, and that's just as easy.(almost). But to me the newer SJ hulls are horrible to ride.

So for example a Rickter Edge would be less buoyant and unstable for me?

Are there any major negatives with he 'Bullett Racing' SXR copies? Over a regular SXR?

Big Kahuna

Administrator
The Edge handles good. It is not a flatwater freestyle hull. But it is heavy. Personally I would look at the Trinity Vector Hull over the Bullet. But keep in mind. These are both designed race hulls.

stay away from aftermarket hulls, they will be more unstable than the superjet

No disrespect, but this statement is simply not true. A Superfreak Badass is much more stable than a SJ because it is a wider platform. I own both skis and have ridden both, the Superfreak is an Ocean cruiser compared to the SJ. No comparison on stability.

Too much kool aid getting passed around. A bullet is not beginner friendly and neither are any of these other am hulls.

Oh so you like to cruise the bay a few times a year? You should build a super freak or a trinity...Yea great advice
The op wrote "aftermarket or otherwise" in the original post.

In my opinion, if you like sxr's and don't feel like they are holding you back then stick with them.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I would say that's right, I love my SXR and I don't feel it's holding me back.

If I could buy a new one I would, I don't want to buy a ten year old ski as my mechanical knowledge is poor..... I just like to hit the button and ride. So that's why I like new or nearly new.

It's because I can't buy a new SXR that I'm asking

Also I don't want a 'race hull' if that means it's all about performance when going quick, as I like doing spins and am improving at baby tricks!

Proformance1

Liquid Insanity
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
Ride what you are looking to buy. Heavier/Wider is always easier to ride than light. A surf reinforced SJ is much more stable than a carbon anything. LOL It sounds like you are looking to the aftermarket world. If you are stay glass to start with, or try a reinforced SJ with tubbies. Then be prepared to change in a year or so :)

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
Bullet is a race hull. It will be similar to the SXR. I would get a Superjet. I use to have both. Both have their strengths. If you want to play around, ride the SJ. if you want to rip turns or just go for long cruises then ride the SXR. Dont fall for the "You need to get an aftermarket hull". That is just going to suck $6,000 out of your pocket and then you still have to spend thousands more to put a motor and driveline in it. Paint it, Turf it...............

Dont fall for the "paint it, turf it" nonsense either! Represent the ugly ski crew with the rest of us!

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
I think the second ski shluld be determined strickly by your budget. If a AM ski is a drop in the hat for you, then pick your discipline and buy appropriately. If not, then look into a superjet. If you decided to go modified, be carevul of shotty glass work. Do some composites research and if the seller is talking put of their ass on how they did the work, buyer beware.

Top Bottom