Solas 144 mag pump

High Speed Industries

Your one stop shop for quality parts @highspeedind
Many people have mixed feelings about the solas mag pump. Some people love them, some people hate them. I think it all comes down to how you assemble them. Many people think that the pumps eat bearings, but it all comes down to how you install them.When I first assembled my pump I used a press and damaged the bearings, this had me pretty frustrated because my pump lasted about 5 minutes in the ski. The second time I assembled the pump I used a different method that didn't stress out the bearings. Since I have assembled it the second time I have gone over 25 hours with no issues at all.

Overall I would give the solas pump a 4 out of 5. It performs real well and it is pretty cheap compared to the other pump options out there. The pump hookup is a huge improvement over stock. I would say the only downsides to this pump is the weight and the assembly. The solas pump is quite a bit heavier than the stock pump but the performance gains are definitely worth the added weight. As far as assembly goes I suggest looking at my thread on the X. It's a pretty good step by step on how to install your bearings without damaging them.

Here is the link to my thread. www.x-h2o.com/threads/137372-How-I-assembled-my-solas-pump-without-a-press&highlight=

CRJ

Hibernating
find one thats known good, and it will help. im buying one already put together with a season on it with no issues.

using the correct bearings with the right clearance is key. i use the freezer and oven trick, and it works perfect every time.

Roseand

The Weaponizer
Site Supporter
I read on watcons site that Watcon now carries them and checks them for clearances, and fixes them accordingly too.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Reactions: CRJ

spookyjjj

Back @ it
My first ride on mine brought back the feeling of the first time on my super jet after I bought it. I think the people on the shore thought I was crazy due to all the yelling I was doing. Huge Gain imo

tomski

X
Since this is a product review thread, I would expect to see actual testing between the stock section and the solas section. That would be back to back testing with a true review on each.

Roseand

The Weaponizer
Site Supporter
Yep I definitely agree with that, but I do think that all of this information is pretty useful too.

I went from a stock 144 to a Solas 144 mag and IMO it was deffinately worth the money. I purchased the good bearings from JetManiac and installed them at a machine shop I use to work at and have had no issues so far.

I love mine, especially for the price. I assembled my ski with a stock pump then 2 weeks later switched to the solas mag. The difference was night and day. I noticed a huge improvement in whitewash as well as hooking the pump after a slide. The price is very good compared to other mag pumps. I don't think I will ever go back to a stock pump. lol everytime I hop on a ski now that has a stock pump I can def tell

Just like everyone says, the pump is just a small part of the puzzle. Does it help, absolutely, but not until it's in sync with everything else. Took me half the summer to figure that out!

If you use high quality bearings and press them in properly this pump is perfectly fine. Running a few 1080's on these and 900's and seems to work more then well if set up and tuned properly.

I set mine out in the tx summer heat to warm it up. The bearings went in super easy. Used lots of grease coated inside of pump really good, and on the outside of the bearings. It spins buttery smooth no rough spots. Dont believe there will b any issues. But I haven't run it yet

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom