Solas 144 mag pump

My understanding is that they weigh aprox 5 lbs more then the skat ? anyone have the actual weight difference? My solas has worked fine for one season with oem bearings pressed in with normal temperature and no modification. Switching to a SB skat now for boat wake/ FW weight reduction.

Last edited:
Many people have mixed feelings about the solas mag pump. Some people love them, some people hate them. I think it all comes down to how you assemble them. Many people think that the pumps eat bearings, but it all comes down to how you install them.When I first assembled my pump I used a press and damaged the bearings, this had me pretty frustrated because my pump lasted about 5 minutes in the ski. The second time I assembled the pump I used a different method that didn't stress out the bearings. Since I have assembled it the second time I have gone over 25 hours with no issues at all.

Overall I would give the solas pump a 4 out of 5. It performs real well and it is pretty cheap compared to the other pump options out there. The pump hookup is a huge improvement over stock. I would say the only downsides to this pump is the weight and the assembly. The solas pump is quite a bit heavier than the stock pump but the performance gains are definitely worth the added weight. As far as assembly goes I suggest looking at my thread on the X. It's a pretty good step by step on how to install your bearings without damaging them.

Here is the link to my thread. www.x-h2o.com/threads/137372-How-I-assembled-my-solas-pump-without-a-press&highlight=
Has this thread been taken down?

find one thats known good, and it will help. im buying one already put together with a season on it with no issues.

using the correct bearings with the right clearance is key. i use the freezer and oven trick, and it works perfect every time.
What is the freezer and oven trick?

Top Bottom