Super Jet Solas Mag: Bearing Issues after 45 Minutes of Ride Time

Hello,

I purchased a Solas Mag (stator only) over the winter and installed it in my RN. Before assembling the pump, I made sure the bearings were packed and that the drive line spun freely after the new bearings were installed.

When I went to install it in the ski, I spent a long time shimming and re-shimming (back bolts only) to make sure it aligned almost perfect in the drive line tube. The same is true for the mid shaft and motor.

Before I took it out for the first ride of the year, I started the ski on a stand to make sure there were no vibrations and that everything looked and sounded good. No issues.

So I hit the water later that day and after about 45 minutes of total ride time (never more than 10 minutes per session), the pump started making a weird noise. Almost like an ice grinder. So I pulled it out of the water almost immediately as I didn't want to do any more damage if there truly was an issue. Several days later, I decided to start the ski on my stand to listen for the noise. Sure enough, it was still coming from the pump section. But still almost no vibration.

After talking to several local gurus, I decided to pull the pump apart and inspect the bearings. The first thing I noticed when I spun the drive shaft was how rough the bearings sounded. So I pulled off the nose cone and sure enough there was metal (very fine, dust like) in the grease. Almost the same color as 2-stroke transmission fluid that needs changed due to clutch fibers.

Any how, I don't have the tools to press out the bearing to truly see if there is an issue.

So let me ask this, is this normal with these pumps?

Would you suggest repacking the bearings to see if that helps?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Use a quality bearing, make sure it is a C3 because of the tight fit. Install the front bearing with a mandrel seated to the outer race only, then the shaft and rear bearing. Use extra care with the front, the rear is not loaded as much.

Last edited:
Use a quality bearing, make sure it is a C3 because of the tight fit. Install the front bearing with a mandrel seated to the outer race only, then the shaft and rear bearing. Use extra care with the front, the rear is not loaded as much.
Great advice I had the same issue with mine when I 1st put it in. replaced the bearings with C3 sealed bearings (carefully) and that was the end of the problem

Who sells the "C3" bearings?

I used Nachi 6205 C3 bearings on 2 Solas pumps and found the pressfit into the housing to be quite a bit tight. The bearing manufacturer has been producing precision bearings for a long time. I suggest Solas tighten up their standards! If you press a bearing into a housing that is for example 0.001" too tight. the bearing will also compress resulting in less running clearance.

Fro Diesel

creative control
Just pulled my solas out and sure enough I have shot bearings too. Does jetmaniac use c3 bearings? Before I go press another set on that does the same thing.

sent from Fro Diesel using tapatalk2

swapmeet

Brotastic
X3, putting a JM built solas in my BC.... The comment about the solas tolerance makes me nervous! Ain't nobody got time to worry about dat!

Just measured the bore on a new Solas housing and a used oem, they are both the same. Interference fit seems to be just over -1 thou when compared to abec-3 bearing. I would think that even the lower ranked C-1 (electric motor grade) bearing has the same dimension. The only other variable here is: The oem housing has a rather thin alu. wall thickness, whereas the Solas is very thick in that area- will not expand. Suggest lubricating inside of bore before pressing bearing

Glad I'm not the only one. I grenaded my front pump bearing after 15 minutes of riding. I am assuming I did something wrong, but who knows. Ordered some JM bearings so hopefully they are okay.

JetManiac

Stoked
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
Hello,

I purchased a Solas Mag (stator only) over the winter and installed it in my RN. Before assembling the pump, I made sure the bearings were packed and that the drive line spun freely after the new bearings were installed.

When I went to install it in the ski, I spent a long time shimming and re-shimming (back bolts only) to make sure it aligned almost perfect in the drive line tube. The same is true for the mid shaft and motor.

Before I took it out for the first ride of the year, I started the ski on a stand to make sure there were no vibrations and that everything looked and sounded good. No issues.

So I hit the water later that day and after about 45 minutes of total ride time (never more than 10 minutes per session), the pump started making a weird noise. Almost like an ice grinder. So I pulled it out of the water almost immediately as I didn't want to do any more damage if there truly was an issue. Several days later, I decided to start the ski on my stand to listen for the noise. Sure enough, it was still coming from the pump section. But still almost no vibration.

After talking to several local gurus, I decided to pull the pump apart and inspect the bearings. The first thing I noticed when I spun the drive shaft was how rough the bearings sounded. So I pulled off the nose cone and sure enough there was metal (very fine, dust like) in the grease. Almost the same color as 2-stroke transmission fluid that needs changed due to clutch fibers.

Any how, I don't have the tools to press out the bearing to truly see if there is an issue.

Thanks!

Who built your pump? Improper assembly technique can ruin any bearing. You must be careful not press on bearings in the wrong way. Solas pumps build a little 'tighter' than oem and can damage bearings easier during assembly.

If there is metal in the grease then you should replace the bearings.

We have been using the same bearings for years in oem pumps, skat mag pumps, and solas pumps since they came out without issue. I have heard of several solas pump early failures with bearings sourced from several different suppliers so I don't think it is a bearing related issue. Even the crappiest chinese garbage bearings should last longer than you experienced.

JetManiac

Stoked
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
Hello,

Thanks!

Who built your pump? Improper assembly technique can ruin any bearing. You must be careful not press on bearings in the wrong way. Solas pumps build a little 'tighter' than oem and can damage bearings easier during assembly.

If there is metal in the grease then you should replace the bearings.

We have been using the same bearings for years in oem pumps, skat mag pumps, and solas pumps since they came out without issue. I have heard of several solas pump early failures with bearings sourced from several different suppliers so I don't think it is a bearing related issue. Even the crappiest garbage bearings should last longer than you experienced.

Proformance1

Liquid Insanity
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
I have been waiting for a thread like this to appear. The tolerance in these pump bores for a bearing of this type is in the tents of thousandths. .0001. The bearing fits are tight. Proper installation is key to extended bearing life. You cannot just press in and go. I made tooling to press in so that while pressing there is no friction on the ball bearings. Only the inside or outside depending. Most likely during installation you micro fractured some of the balls causing this to happen quickly. Did you press in the shaft with the bearing installed or press it in only from the outer race?

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

I'll have another set of bearings installed and will report back on the outcome.

Performance1 - Sounds like you might of come up with a new tool to help with the install. Can you post pics and the parts list to build one? Is this something you would be interested in selling?

Yeah. Most likely I pressed on the wrong part of the bearing during install with mine. Will have to be more careful the second time.

Top Bottom