Solas pump build

I recently installed new bearings into a new Solas 144 mag. I measured bore before starting. The bore is .002” smaller than bearings. The bore on the mag is true end to end. My question is how stiff does the shaft turn? Shaft turns free but takes a strong grip with hand to turn it. Will this loosen up. The press fit should have been more like .001 IMO.

ScottS

X
Site Supporter
I had the same issue. I took an 80 grit "flapper wheel" on a drill was able to quickly clearance the inside bore to the point that the bearings slid right in.

A few years back Solas had a taper bore issue. I personally experienced that. Second go around I was hoping this bearing issue was fixed.

Rubber coated washer is rubbing back side of impeller. Shaft turns free now. Is it possible I don’t have seals pushed in far enough? Tried installing washer either side and have same drag on shaft when tighten. Mnnnnn?

Attachments

• 086E46A6-FA13-4930-84F8-534B3692C4C2.jpeg
    086E46A6-FA13-4930-84F8-534B3692C4C2.jpeg
    109 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

john zigler

Vendor Account
So your shaft turns easy when you have removed the impeller? Some of the hookers are cut back too far, and will actually hit the pump. Make sure this is not your problem. If so, use impeller spacers to properly space out.

I will say, I have never had an issue with the stock rubber, wiper washer, but we always leave those out.

Yes correct shaft turns easy with out the impeller. The rubber coated washer has just enough rubber material to rub back side of impeller. The impeller does not hit pump body with washer in. If the impeller should hit pump with out the rubber washer I can cut or dremil out some rubber on washer and keep washer spacer in place. I’m assuming what your calling pump spacer is one or more stainless machine washer (s) that takes the place of the rubber coated washer. (Wiper washer)

Top Bottom