Speaking of stabs, need surf stab advice

DaUpJetSkier

I like square
K I can do good stabs on flatwater, but when it comes to doing them off waves I just completely screw up. I usually go to the right which is odd, I may train myself to go left but as a snowboard Im regular and spin better backside to right makes sense but I do most tricks in the holds anyways. In the surf I usually sping right but end up leaning way left, maybe I just need to tuck in more, its off season figured I would ask and maybe I can dream how to do them right. I jus wanna learn the way Ive seen guys look like they are going to straight air and then just last minute tuck and nose in. Any tips

Last edited:

Odd Duck

Jet Vet
I was turning my bars too late. It wasn't until I started turning the bars sooner that my stabs started working. Don't know if that'll help you or not, but it was my problem.

Odd Duck

Jet Vet
just turn and gas it

but oddly enough , odd duck is right. turn your bars early. at first you'll have the tendency to turn the bars too late

Hey, wait a minute, why is it odd that I'm right? You tryin' to start somethin' mister? :pokey:

Last edited:

ANT

Just ride
basically to start with all your doin is at the top of the wave turn the bars, lay the ski over some and kinda keep ur weight between centered and the oppisite way your turning.

DaUpJetSkier

I like square
see thats kinda the prob i got, well in my terms, in the backseat turning right but land hard leaning back and kinda left. Turning earlier is def something to remember.

ANT

Just ride
also make sure your leaning forward too. have your head, or if your tall, as far as your shoulders of the chinpad when you going up thewave.

Well if you're leaning left, stab left, just try to lean forward, sounds like that's the way your body wants to go. I'm left handed and throw every trick to the right, confuses me sometimes, but it works.

Its all about the surf!
Try this step by step- plan out the following steps in your mind first, like the night before so you can do them without thinking about it. 1st hit the wave as straight on as possible. 2nd as you are going up the face of the wave give it full throttle. 3rd at the top of the wave (before you’re pump has left the wave and is still hooked up) crank you’re bars which ever way you want to stab. (It’s the same weather you’re stabing right or left) This will put your ski in an airborne 180 motion. It helps to look back over your shoulder towards the way your stabing as your ski tends to go were your looking. 4th Here’s the important part for beginners- as you reach the arch of your airborne 180 (with you’re feet in your footholds) pull your knees (and the back of the ski) up to your chest. This points the nose down and sets you up for your landing. These 4 steps should all be done in a smooth fluid motion. When ever you’re learning a new trick it’s best to over accentuate your body English until you get the move down. More experienced riders can throw all kinds of variations into this

Frosty

New York Crew
1st hit the wave as straight on as possible. 2nd as you are going up the face of the wave give it full throttle. 3rd at the top of the wave (before you’re pump has left the wave and is still hooked up) crank you’re bars which ever way you want to stab. (It’s the same weather you’re stabing right or left) 4th Here’s the important part for beginners- as you reach the arch of your airborne 180 (with you’re feet in your footholds) pull your knees (and the back of the ski) up to your chest. This points the nose down and sets you up for your landing. These 4 steps should all be done in a smooth fluid motion. When ever you’re learning a new trick it’s best to over accentuate your body English until you get the move down. More experienced riders can throw all kinds of variations into this

that's more or less what I do... although, i've learned that if I start into my tuck earlier I go into an inverted stab.... if I don't tuck I can continue to throw my body weight around more, and do an over-rotated stab almost land facing the same way I took off. - lots of variation to be had once you learn the basics.

here is a little sequence that shows body position through the basic stab

Attachments

• frostyjan081.JPG
    frostyjan081.JPG
    11.3 KB · Views: 30
  • frostyjan082.JPG
    frostyjan082.JPG
    8.9 KB · Views: 26
  • frostyjan083.JPG
    frostyjan083.JPG
    9.7 KB · Views: 26
  • frostyjan085.JPG
    frostyjan085.JPG
    7.1 KB · Views: 19
  • frostyjan086.JPG
    frostyjan086.JPG
    5.9 KB · Views: 21

Frosty

New York Crew
couple more pics...

also, i started playing with doing stabs hitting the wave coming from a different angle, more parallel with the wave - more like how you'd start into a reentry... it's like a nose stab reentry... kinda cool.

Attachments

• frostydaytonastab.jpg
    frostydaytonastab.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 27
  • frosty10142007.jpg
    frosty10142007.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
some real good advice in here . do you really need foot hold or straps to do stabs in the surf . i was trying them at the weekend i can get the rotation round fine but im landing them flat . would trying to get my weight even thirther forward do the trick . i dont have straps on my x2 yet but they are comeing fast , well i have at least six weeks to get them on now as when i said i was landing them flat i landed them so flat on friday i fractured a bone in my foot and im in plaster now for six weeks .

Frosty

New York Crew
sorry to hear about your fracture.

no, you really do not need footholds or straps to do stabs, even in surf.

yeah, try getting your weight a little further forward - that should help get the nose down.

you may want to check with legdrag to get more advise for doing them on an X2

Top Bottom