Super Jet Sponsons

Thank you. I am definitely mounting them up high.

@tom21 what is your recommended height for mounting your tubbies on an FX-1?

But the FX-1 is a polyester glass hull (not a SMC hull).

Would you still use epoxy resin?

Update: Here is the answer:

View attachment 451389

Others, please chine (I mean chime) in.

Hey @Pro-pulsion Please send me the link to your kayak thread.
Also, I just checked my old build thread where I tried lots of things, experimented lots and reversed decisions later on...page 5, post 88 is where I started figuring out my Tom21 sponsons install. Maybe something in there will give you ideas, maybe not but have a look. I think I did document the repairs after taking them off too. Hope this helps.

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
Thank you. I am definitely mounting them up high.

@tom21 what is your recommended height for mounting your tubbies on an FX-1?

But the FX-1 is a polyester glass hull (not a SMC hull).

Would you still use epoxy resin?

Update: Here is the answer:

View attachment 451389

Others, please chine (I mean chime) in.

Hey @Pro-pulsion Please send me the link to your kayak thread.
Personally I don't use 5200 for installing things period , I mount the sponsons up with epoxy and cabosil mixed to about the consistency of peanut butter , screw it down , I use stainless steel self tapping screws and cut them off inside , I leave the screws in and glass over them , if you have areas that don't want to pull up tightly with the screws I use scraps of 2 x 4 and a ratchet strap to pull those down where I want them , fill and smooth any gaps around the edges using your finger , wearing latex gloves of course, if there are any gaps fill them while doing this, let it dry .

Rough up anything that you want to adhere fiberglass to with 60 or 80 grit paper , you need to get through the paint down to the SMC , Metton , whatever surface and then start up laying glass with epoxy resin, I find the fiberglass tape works excellent for this, it's fairly cheap and comes in different widths , I like to lay up a layer of 1 inch tape and follow up with a piece of two inch tape. let that dry, sand it again to remove the anime blush then mix up epoxy and fairing compound, I use the stuff from US composites for everything , except for the epoxy which I have been getting somewhere else , but you can't go wrong with US composites for everything needed.

Top Bottom