Standup hull options in 2021

Big Kahuna

Administrator
Rider size and weight has alot to do with how a hull rides. I am 235-240. At times my Edge feels small. While I have seen others who are 185lbs say they can ride their XFS, -4.3 Superfreak badass wide open chasing boats. There is no way I can!!!!!!! I had a SF....

Yah. I ride a xfr. Flat. Surf. River. Lake. Ocean. Gravel bars. Sometimes 100ft circles. Sometimes 15 miles one way. Can stand on it.with it shut off. Can rip it wot with a 701 and b pipe the entire tank of fuel. Hands down the absolute best end all hull. If someone says they can't rec ride a short hull, they just suck salt riding or haven't done it enough. Long hulls suck for absolute anything besides big surf.

I speak from currently owning a square nose. Round nose. Blaster. Blackie Chan. Rickter evo. And rickter xfr

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I also feel like the superfreak badass should go right in the middle. Small hardware changes on the the badass make a huge difference, so you can use that to tailor the ski to how you want to ride that day. When I picked up my first freak it was full lenght, rockered front and rear. It had a slightly double concave ride plate that was D cut with the sides cut out, and a R&D top loader grate that I put on. I liked the way it rode, it was fairly great everywhere. The only handling trait that I found weird was that if you had less than a half tank of fuel, were on perfectly flat water, went WOT and moved your balance point around a bit you could get the whole ski to feel like it was floating around on marbles and pick up at least a few MPH as it did it. Definitely made the ski faster on the top end, but it was unstable while you were doing it, you weren`t going to try to carve a turn at that speed. After a bunch of years I cracked that ride plate and layed up a quick full length flat plate. It made the back of the ski slide a bunch more on turns and made it ride flatter. I layed up a full length double concave plate that had deeper concave areas. That made the ski ride a little more nose up like the original plate, almost eliminated the aired out riding on marbles feeling that I could sometimes get in perfect conditions, the ski cornered better, but if you were lifting off the throttle and tossing it to the side to go for a power slide it will still release and rotate around. Recently I swapped to a deeper more aggressive intake grate. That made a huge difference. I did lose a couple MPH off the top end, but the ski will corner a lot more aggressively, at WOT in a straight line it feels like its on rails, choppy water, smooth water it doesn`t matter. I also have an even deeper more aggressive grate that I want to try.

So don`t forget hardware changes as some hulls can have a completely different personality depending on how you set them up.

Hi....Great chart....was wondering where the KRASH 50 CAL fits in ....I have one which I ride in surf, ...it does very well, but can it do flatwater or bouys as well ?
tks

Hi....Great chart....was wondering where the KRASH 50 CAL fits in ....I have one which I ride in surf, ...it does very well, but can it do flatwater or bouys as well ?
tks
I put the Krash Predator on there - wasn't sure if it replaced the 50 Cal or was something new - if the 50 Cal was unique from the Pred then it should go on the chart as there are still a ton of 50 Cal hulls floating around!

The chart is not intended as "what can the hull do?" - a good rider can make just about any hull do anything - throw in a badass engine then all bets are off. It's more so intended as "What was the hull's target market when it was sold" - with some slight adjustment if people on here mention that Hull "X" is now super popular in community "Y".

Just as an example - good rider on a hull out of it's comfort zone -
-- The SXR 1500 shouldn't be moved to flatwater because of one amazing rider's ability lol. To be fair - the SXR 1500 makes some of the best setup wake in a standup ;)

Last edited:
I'm new to the art of sales and marketing. I still don't see how anyone can make a highly informed decision based on the ads I have found. They remind me of old Pontiac commercials. That video just made the 1/4 ton SXR as "awesome" as the Superjet was a few years ago, that is if the same standards apply. I wonder how long its engine mounts will last.

Last edited:
Envy and REV are nothing alike in any way, right? Pretty sure on that one. I have not seen a REV in years though but I think they were railers.

Ducky

Back in the game!
Where would a WDK ROK-R fit? WDK RIP is left side purple..

It would be in essentially the same area. Dont remember all of the changes between the two, but the RIP has an integrated splash lip on the rocker, a normal width ride plate (ROK-R ride plate was full width including chines), and the RIP might have been a little longer on the bottom. I owned a RIP, and had a Rok-R and they rode fairly similar.

The FX1 was a little smaller than other production skis. Its bottom had a lot of dead rise and little grip so you had to get it on edge to turn. I thought it felt like a smaller 750sx. Better suited for small riders. The tiny pump made it impossible to make much thrust no matter how much power was added. It was designed before the 750s came out so they were trying to compete with the 550 after the class died. Just like PJS and Thunderjet.

Last edited:
Can barrel roll a 650 sj off setupwake. Nose it in one the side.

You can nose stab a 2x4 with tray time and a 144.

Seriously. A xfr is the best hull you can bug to do it all.

I'll come back here in 10 years when my xfr is still flipping. Still ripping the flooded river. Still running miles on shasta. And still shredding samoa.

Lol. Dude said I weight 145 pounds. Try 195 bud

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom