SX/SXi/SXi Pro Start button just click

I have a 779 motor with 650 electronics when i push the the start button the electrical box just clicks the bat is good and i have rebuilt 3 starters and put 3 different starter selinoids in (none of wich were new ones) if I hold the start button and wiggle it fast eventually it will turn over. Im running out of ideas?

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
start stop switch?

did you try bridging the starter solenoid with something metal to bypass it.( i know you tried 3 other ones)

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
check all the connections in the ebox... i doubt three starter solenoids are bad... although ive seen it happen before.

prob just a bad connection to the solenoid though.

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
if its all old stuff sometimes thats a better solution...

find a low hour freshwater set out of an old TS, SC or other 650 couch or something. where the ebox doesnt see as much water.

i always though it was dumb that kawi made the 650 coil and cdi one unit too.

FyrHazard

Ski Eat Sleep Repeat
Check your battery connections really well. Even if they look good and are tight, they may not be making a good connection. Once the amperage from the starter tries to flow, it breaks the connection.

Ive got an 88 650sx and im taking out the engine right now for the exact same thing(clicking when pressing the on switch). I have 2 questions, do the answers for him work for mine as well? and while taking the engine out i found one set of wires that run from the ebox to the bottom front of the engine, and i cant seem to find a disconnect for it outside of the engine or ebox. should i just cut them and rejoin them upon installation???

Thanks-TS

N3vrSat1sfied

Military Member
Ive got an 88 650sx and im taking out the engine right now for the exact same thing(clicking when pressing the on switch). I have 2 questions, do the answers for him work for mine as well? and while taking the engine out i found one set of wires that run from the ebox to the bottom front of the engine, and i cant seem to find a disconnect for it outside of the engine or ebox. should i just cut them and rejoin them upon installation???

Thanks-TS

sounds like your talking the stator wires. I would avoid cutting them at all cost specially if you ride salt water. You should be able to disconnect them in the ebox. If you do cut them make sure to use water proff conectors or heat shrenk tubing.

Thanks for the info. As to the wires we just left them, and barely moved the engine out onto the tray. Also we found out the starter broke because the driveshaft was stuck. We couldnt even move it with our hands so im thinking a lot of lube and reading my repair manual to see if theres anything else to do.

TS

Top Bottom