Other start stop switch only kills the motor when holding it down

feel like a noob with this one,I might have something wrong in the ebox,swaped cdis and now this issue comes up? it was working fine before but ive double checked all connections?
when you hit the stop button the motor only dies as long as your holding the stop button down if you let go before the motor stops spinning it will continue to run again? what causes this?

Penken

whoomp there it is!
this is how the stock s/s works? if you press the red button it will kill the spark. if you let go spark will come back.
you have a high idle?

Last edited:
ya it sounds like my dirt bike. i hit the stop button and it stops "running" but if i let go of the button before its stops turning it will fire right back up. thats normal.....however my ski does not do that. i can rev it up and hit stop just for a sec and she shuts right down.

if the cdi is all you changed, i say cdi. JMO
not sure what else it could be?

That is a function of the CDI. It's a STOP signal sent to the CDI. Dirt bike kill switches are usually setup so they just break the signal between the stator and the CDI, if you release the stop button before the engine stops then the CDI gets the stator trigger signal again and fires back up. This is also how the old MSD analog total losses wired the stop switches.

Are you running a stock CDI?

Aaron

Its a msd enhancer,It was in the ski working fine before,I took it in and out to test another cdi,all the grounds are common right? does the start stop ground have a issue?

one of the skis at my house does that too...cant remmver which one though..

never thought too much about it, only it was odd that most skis you just tap the button and occausionally you find one that has to be held down...

my outboard motors are ALL like they...you must hold the stop button until its totally shut off........

cosander

Dallas/Fort worth
anyone have a schematic of this cdi circuit? Sounds to me like a capacitive issue. It could also be you are using lower octane gas than usual and it diesels enough until spark is regained and gets ignition again.
Question? how long after you press the stop button can you restart? What is the standard delay?

jetskier79

I'm goin' for two
That is a function of the CDI. It's a STOP signal sent to the CDI. Dirt bike kill switches are usually setup so they just break the signal between the stator and the CDI, if you release the stop button before the engine stops then the CDI gets the stator trigger signal again and fires back up. This is also how the old MSD analog total losses wired the stop switches.

Are you running a stock CDI?

Aaron

This is precisely correct, really good info, that so many others in this thread seem to be skipping past before weighing in.

waxhead

wannabe backflipper
they have a relay in them , that tells it stay off when you hit the stop button. the relay is broken
bummer, just ride.
would be awesome for racing if you hit the stop button by accident it just starts back up

Penken

whoomp there it is!
sorry didnt know that they where that hightech. have actually never thought about it when ive killed my ski.
but is it such a pain to hold the button for a little time?

one problem usually leads to another with elec is all? and when you making a fast run in the ocean at shore to beach I like to just tap the button and get my thumb around the grip again to hold on.....

Top Bottom