starter flywheel question-fried stator

does anyone know or have a blowup diagram of the starter and what parts(washers) go into the flywheel cover on a 96 superjet, i just had a washer the size of a quartercome free and shread my stator, im assuming it was arounf the end of the starter where it plugs into the flywheel cover, how many washer are suppose to be there there is another one thats about 3/8 " that goes into the flywheel cover- was there a spring in there also? my question is there suppose to b 2 washer and how do i prevent this from coming free again

keefer

T1
There is a thin quarter sized washer on the back side of the bendix. Not sure how it would ever come out if the bendix was still attached. There is a washer on both sides of the tension spring that the front shaft of the bendix rests against. Check out numbers 21 & 22

startingmotor.jpg

Last edited:

keefer

T1
Yep, what he said, the weight holder fails and then the bendix gets stuck and slings the weights out to beat the crap outta the expensive stator & flywheel.

i checked out that site and it shows a spring w a 3/8 size washer at both end- no quarter size washer at all -

You are right... Yamaha does not show the quarter size thin washer between the bendix and the brass bushing on the engine case that receives the bendix...I have looked for a part # before to order one and could not find it anywhere...but it does exist...

QuickMick

API 1104 AWS CWI
Site Supporter
Are you sure its not a washer that was being used to hold your stator in with a bolt through it?? There isnt a quarter size washer in the case other than the real thin one Keefer described.

The one that is in the bendix boss hole is about .300 on the OD. I cant see how either one could come out, nor the spring.

oxnard111

Creative RE Purchasing
this is the washer in question. it goes between the bendix and the cases...

i accidentally put it on the front of the bendix once, and it rattle the crap out of the bedix and chewed up the teeth on my flywheel.

imgp2883ch2.jpg

Shot with PENTAX Optio A30 at 2009-03-03

Last edited:
THATS IT!! did it go inbetween the bendex and the flywheel cover case or between bendex and starter?im not sure where its shown on that dia gramm keefer sent, how could it of come out and gotten into my stator? im also missing the tiny spring and 1 of the little 3/8s washers not sure where that couldv went, so im assuming i need a need bendex also ?did the bendix go bad for this to happen

Shifty

- SuperJet Thursday -
The washer is the piece shown in RED. It goes between the bronze bushing inserted into the cases and the backside of the Bendix (just behind the gear that engages the starter pinion)

Attachments

• startingmotor.jpg
    startingmotor.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 26
Top Bottom