starting issue after stator replacement

My battery wasn't charging so I mistakenly changed the stater. Turns out the battery was too bad to accept a charge. I have a brand new battery now but the starting is odd. I get a backfire during cranking but when I stop pressing the start button, it lights up and runs fine. Almost like the Bendix doesn't want to release on it's own. As far as timing goes, I'm sure I lined up the woodruff key properly plus it runs perfect once started but why the backfire while motoring the starter? I didn't lube the Bendix while I was in there as everything was dry but wished I did now.

You say you "lined up the woodruff key", that's on the flywheel, but did you lock down the the new stator with the timing marks lined up?

Big Kahuna

Administrator
Had an issue years ago........ Ski would not start, but when let off the start button it would pop off.... Dont know why I did this, but on the enhancer, there is 2 white wires (Think they were white). Swapped them, and ski fired right up........

The stator is a used 61x Yamaha part and I lined up the marks on it before tightening it down.
What are these white enhancer wires? I don't remember seeing them but two greens were there.

Thanks for the diagram. I'll have to look inside again. I remember the white with red only. I have an Advent ignition and simply did a plug and play with another stator.

Top Bottom