Steering Cable Help

oxnard111

Creative RE Purchasing
At the top of the pole,

1) remove chin pad
2) Remove ball joint connector from steering plate, and unscrew the connector from cable.
3) remove the steering cable holder bracket where the cable starts to disappear in the pole.

Inside ski:

Remove battery box then gas tank for easier access when pulling old cable out and pushing new cable back in.

Pump area:

1) Remove ride plate
2) Remove ball joint connector from steering nozzle and remove connector to replace on new cable
3) remove pump noting where each shim was removed from
4) Unscrew white cap holding cable.
5) Note locations of all washers, clips, and grommets within the white cap.
6) Pull old cable out of the rear of the ski

Now reverse the steps to re install. Make sure not to put the new cable in a position where it will bind inside the engine compartment, and make sure it doesn't rest on the waterbox where it can melt, or doesn't touch any sharp edges.

I have read that you do not need to take the pump off, how much easier is it to do it with it off?
It depends on how tight/sticky the white cap that holds the steering cable at the back of the hull is. It's really hard to get anything but pliers on it with the pump in. Pulling the pump is only 4 bolts and 2 hose clamps.

SJ/XPBri

Just SJBri = no more XP
It depends on how tight/sticky the white cap that holds the steering cable at the back of the hull is. It's really hard to get anything but pliers on it with the pump in. Pulling the pump is only 4 bolts and 2 hose clamps.

Get a piece of PVC pipe just too small to fit over the nut at the back of the hull for the steering cable. Heat one end of the PVC pipe with a propane torch (Not too hot, you don't want to set it on fire) Once you've heated the pipe, put it over the cable end, and hit the end (with a hammer) tap it over the plastic nut at the back of the hull. Once it fits over, walk away and let it cool. You can drill a hole in the pipe and stick a screwdriver through it to turn the nut off.
Bri

Much easier solution:Basin Wrench http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=19558-943-03811

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
Make sure not to put the new cable in a position where it will bind inside the engine compartment, and make sure it doesn't rest on the waterbox where it can melt, or doesn't touch any sharp edges.

cut a piece of hose {8 inches maybe}(cooling line is a good diameter) and put it around your cable with some zip ties where the cable will rest on the waterbox.

i lost a cooling line to my pipe this season and melted a cable... it wasnt fun when i found out the cable was broke at 40 and crashed into the marsh... then it was time to ride back to the boat leg dragging to turn left...

the hose is cheap insurance if you ever overheat your waterbox.

D-Roc

I forgot!
i made a tool like this and it works wicked good. i used a socket for the white nut, steel tube, smaller socket for the other end, welds.:biggthumpup:

Attachments

• steering_cable_EZ_tool.gif
    steering_cable_EZ_tool.gif
    13.1 KB · Views: 41
Top Bottom