Surfriding STEERING has slop front to back

Fro Diesel

creative control
I am new to the blaster world. I have a 94 and it is all stock except bars, grip and sharkfab throttle. The steer has some play front to back and i would like to eliminate it.

Also is there a thread with some cheap mods to do for a blaster that will be mainly a surf rig?

I wedged a rock in the ss prop a couple weeks ago. I am thinking about purchasing a hooker setback, but don't know what pitch people get on these boats.

Last edited:

Superjetter_95

Looking to the sky
Best cheap mod i ever did for mine was the quicksteer mod. Made a HUGE difference. Made it so i landed a roll plate to plate with only a riva pipe and the steering nozzle mod. Stock prop and all else.

I can post pictures of how i did that if you need it. it was extremely easy to do :bigok:

steering  setup 003.jpgsteering  setup 002.jpgsteering  setup 001.jpg I agree with the steer mod , here its done with the stock cable , cost :''just labor '', another cheap nobrainer would be to raise compression by milling the stock head, cost :''gasket plus mill head '', for surf you will need a new grate about a 100 bucks or so '' some like the works 201 , im runnin a JD single bar , but I do like the agressive scoop for the surf with the JD I have no trouble in any foam at all it instant hook up , you steering slop can be fixed with a couple of shims cut from an plastic oil bottle or PAF can , I know it sounds ''cave man'' but I have been running with these shims for 4 years now no issues at all , just lube with oil !! BTW My steering is very tight and feels new , I have just been too lazy to order new bushings since this works so well / '' Dave Ramsey ''would be proud ! good wiring condition is a no brainier too so go over it all ! Edit : the first pic shows a standard ball point pen next to the nozzle is to show how far left to right it goes with the new travel . its even on both sides . I did have to clearance the sides of the steer nozz with a dremmel

Last edited:

Dustin Mustangs

uʍop ǝpıs dn
You might just need to tighten the steering up under the hood. I have had mine come loose a couple of times and result in a bunch of play. About that quick steer mod, you may be able to get full throw out of the cable (under the hood) by just drilling a new hole as apposed to adding a piece like Mr. 800 did. I got it to work anyways. Either way, totally worth the effort. Past that you are going to be spending money. Reinforcements (depending on how crazy you want to get) and warmers would be two of the cheaper things you may need. When it comes down to it these really need more power. Pipe/head/prop will make it a whole new boat.

Glad to see another wb in the area. Let me know if you want me to show you how to ride it!

:splatt:

Fro Diesel

creative control
I am not understanding where the shims go underhood, frank. Can you draw me a picture? I will get it eventually if i play with it long enough. I plan to do that quicksteer mod tonight. Already put some footstraps in and loving those.

Currently i am spending 3-5hrs a night on my superjet hull, and i bought a ton of parts for that thing...so the blaster is going to be boring on power for a while. At least until i get some more cash, or pull the "big dirty."

Waves are looking huge on Friday. I plan to ride port sheldon, couldn't make it up there in time last wave day and just rode the secret spot south of south haven.

the top bushing is 2 halves , remove and sand the ends so they will form a smaller circle , then install the plastic shimstock around the outer plastic fingers next to the metal hex , it will tighten the bushing against the shaft , its touchy so don oversand it but all slop can be removed, '' patience'' . the bottom bushing is easiest , remove /sand the ends ''not too much '' install the plastic shim between the metal clamp and the nylon bushing , or just buy new bushings ...... ive been running shimstock for years now on both blasters , even Cattledog said I have the tightest steering he,s has seen on a b-1 without aftermarket steering. glad you installed the footstraps they are a '' must have ''. and like Mustang said you may not have to lengthen the top steering lever if you can go in close enough on the nozzle pivot, my ocean pro nozz is wider than stock and the pivot sits out farther so i needed more throw on the top .

Last edited:
Top Bottom