Strange Electrical Problem

jap7t8

Spring Fever...
My buddies ski (650 sj) died on us the other day out in the water after he dumped it and got quite a bit of water in it. We tried forever to get it restarted. When I let my finger off the start button it kept on cranking away. To the point where it ran the battery completely dead. I disconnected the battery at home and charged it and the second we tried to hook it back up it started cranking again. Took apart the start/stop switch assembly and everything looks fine. No wires look like they are shorting out or anything.

At a total loss here...

ger87410

How did I get here?
Pull the ebox and look for water.

Disconnect the switch and see if there's a short across the 2 wires. If so, trace the wires to find the short.

jap7t8

Spring Fever...
Pull the ebox and look for water.

Disconnect the switch and see if there's a short across the 2 wires. If so, trace the wires to find the short.

The switch and wires all looked good. I was wondering about the ebox though. If it does have water in it, will it need to be replaced?

ger87410

How did I get here?
The sooner you pull that box, assuming there's water in it, the better. You may have to replace stuff in there.

First see if there's water in it.

Work on your problems 1 at a time. Before we can address any of your other problems, we need to fix the constant cranking problem. The issues may be related.

jap7t8

Spring Fever...
Your problem is a bad starter solenoid, replace it clean out the elect box, reinstall and ride.

Could that also be the reason it wouldn't start back up once it was running for a half hour or so? Starter didn't have the juice to throw the flywheel into the bendix hard enough?

ger87410

How did I get here?
The starter solenoid is nothing more then a relay that's activated when you hit the start switch. It basically shorts the battery to the starter. Has nothing to do with how she runs.

So, can you get it started?

Top Bottom