Surfriding Strange spark plug issue

Crab

thanks darin...noswad!
Been struggling with a spark issue on the x2 for some time now, finally got it narrowed down to the plugs. For the longest time I thought it was a problem with the electronics but its not, after perhaps a few hours of riding this thing the plugs themselves go bad. I can swap in new or known good plugs and it will get good spark again, but the old ones will either have no or very weak spark. Doesn't seem to matter if they are resistor or non resistor, been using NGK B8es or Br8es, wondering if somehow the combustion shockwaves are killing them, and they look like a decent burn on the plugs. BTW this thing rips......175psi, ported 750/650 electronics, jetinetics flywheel, and a lot of timing with stock rev limiter still.

Had the same prob...turned out to be a weak coil. It was good enough that with new plugs the spark looked OK, but they would last about a tank and wouldn't hardly fire....new plugs and all good again. Finally replaced coil and havent replaced plugs since. Worth a shot.......

Your spark is too weak! It might fire new plugs. Check your coil like special fx mentioned. If you have the 650 style electronics it will hardly work in saltwater even if brand new, the sealed 750 set up does better that way.

Crab

thanks darin...noswad!
mine was a combo of coil and stator. kick ass now. similar set up to crabs. oh, and i run b7es or br7es.
7's are too hot, they run plenty clean now. BTW everything is sealed in a TS box now and gets no water exposure, and I run an extra ground also.
I will swap in my 86 coil and see if the problem is still there.

madscientist

chilling with these guys.
7's are the suggested plug by most for the 650 motor and electrics, my theory is that i am running 650 electrics and just a larger displacement. i have a nice clean burn on the plugs and not over heating.

Throw away the BLUE spark plug caps from Kawasaki (550 & 650 ignition only) and use B8ES (no resistor) plugs and set the gap at approx .022". Its possible the CDI is going bad, but try this first.. A weak ignition will be a larger problem in the surf, as opposed to fresh water...

regards,
Randy

madscientist

chilling with these guys.
hey randy, why stay with the cooler plug with high compression? i understand the removal of the oem resistor ends, but aren't the ngk ends just direct replacements?

Top Bottom