Suggested Freestyle Mods?

Wilke

X2 stole my life
I wouldn't D-cut on a SX650, they ride pretty nose high and porpoise enough allready.

-Replace the piston rings
-Hone the cylinders
-Deck the cylinders by .002"
-Mill the head by .002"
-Polish the exhaust ports and piston faces
-Mod the exhaust (it changes the water path for apparently 9-10 more HP)
-Replace the OEM reeds with one piece reeds (have them from the last ski)
-Carb kit
-Possibly mod the steering nozzle at the cable mount for faster turning

Thats a pretty good list to get you started. For the carb you should just ditch the stock 28mm one and swap it out for a Keihin CDKII 38mm, it will bolt right on the stock manifold and ony need to bore it out to match. One must you need to add is a SS impeller (15.5 is good for the 650). And getting a shorter/lighter pole is great, but a bit pricey if youre on a budget, it is possible to shorten yours with some cutting and glasswork (its a bit of work but worth it).

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions Wilke, I plan on getting a S.S. impeller but only when I can afford it. Right now my main targets will be the list mentioned and more importantly, getting the Reg. numbers on the hull and the needed safety gear. Although it adds a few pounds, it's a lot more expensive not having it should I get stopped :biggrin: The new impeller around here is really pricey (350+) so it has to be a last mod for now.

One change to my list, I will be milling the head by about .030" and not decking the cylinders. I have been told by a former Kawi dealer tech that they leave tons of room for milling and .030" is a great upper mid/lower max number to work with. I have the ski now and registered it today, I will be posting pics hopefully tomorrow.

Polish jet pilot

4aces4aces4aces4aces4aces
Dothe free exhaust mod, d-cut (better carving, turning, and nose up), bore the nozzle, add the impeller and grate, swap that carb - best 44sbn, but a 38mm keihin will work nicely, do not install air filter (withouth having a good bilge / scupper), shave the head a bit, change the plugs and GOOOOOOOO!

Wilke

X2 stole my life
For the impeller look for used ones in the classifieds here or on ebay, you can probably get one in good shape for pretty cheap in comparision to a new one. I sold an entire 650 pump assembly with a like new 15.5 skat a few months ago for $150, deals are out there. I can say with relative certinty that a SS impeller is one of the best mods for nearly any ski. Mabye not the first mod to be done, but it should be pretty high on the list.

+1

How much should I bore the outlet nozzle and when I mill the head, what is the reason for different plugs? I'm guessing move to colder heat ranges? Or do I move to a different plug entirely...if so what's the recommendation?

Here are the pics, I'm quite happy with the condition of this ski given the fact that it was sitting out in a barnyard uncovered and on 2 truck tires. It's going to be a great project ski and pics will be posted as I do the mods, hope you likes.

Attachments

• P1000095.jpg
    P1000095.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 41
  • P1000096.jpg
    P1000096.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 41
  • P1000098.jpg
    P1000098.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 58

SuperDrifter

Prototyper
Site Supporter
There is a thread on (x-H2O/or PWCT) on how to max HP/+performance from a 650, and I think there were all freebies or close to it. I'm too lazy too search for it, but it's worth it for you. (good thread)

Right on, thanks dude. I'll check into a search for it. I've been putting off doing any mods right now because it's been too cold still. When some good temps get here I'll be more interested, something about cold and windy just doesn't do it for me lol.

Hey guys, sorry for not updating my project. Things are a little on the touch and go side right now due to my shop having to sign on with work sharing. This economy crash has killed our business. But I just started on the ski today. The weather has also been a huge factor, I don't like and have the mood to play with my ski when the weather sucks lol. But just to get a little list started here, I have pulled the engine and cleaned up the engine compartment. I found a couple of factory flaws, the water inlet line from the pump going to the exhaust had a 90 degree bend in it and was almost totally kinked and the same problem for the exhaust tube going into the waterbox. I'm going to try and find a 90* hose for both to correct this problem. I'm assuming that this is a major point of power loss for those of us that have an older Kawi and have never had to work on it. Tomorrow I will be doing most of my work and hope to have the most of it done by Sunday. Tomorrow's list will be cleaning up the engine, installing the new reeds, maybe polishing the exhaust ports and some small custom painting to add a splash of color. Right now the headpipe is off and given to a buddy to get welded up for the exhaust mod. I should have some pics up sometime tomorrow afternoon or evening but the full exhaust mod won't be up until I get the headpipe back. :cool2:

Last edited:
ski looks good, im thinkin about geting an ss impeller but idk how to change em out. is it easY?

Damn, sorry dude I never noticed your posting. As far as I know it's easy to change out the impeller. I've done it to my Sea-Doo and it was easy then. I had to buy a special tool though to do it. I bought mine from Dennis Kirk for about 7 bucks.

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/tpl/c...IV0?store=Main&category=51205&np=&mmyId=10521

If it's the same process, you just remove the jet-pump from the ski, remove the end cone and there should be two flat sides on the impeller shaft. Lock those flat sides into a vise, drop the impeller tool into the splines and put a ratchet and socket onto it. You will have to slide about a 2ft metal tube over the ratchet handle to get the power needed to crack that puppy loose though. I'm not sure what way to turn either, it may be different from the Sea-Doo...I'm thinking it is because Sea-Doo sucks and was built bass ackwards...I'm allowed to say it lol...I have a bright yellow lemmon sitting in my garage :27::biggrin:

Moving my thread here over to the builds forum guys.
http://www.x-h2o.com/threads/54481

Last edited:

lvfreestyle

I Know Things
I wouldn't D-cut on a SX650, they ride pretty nose high and porpoise enough allready.

Thats a pretty good list to get you started. For the carb you should just ditch the stock 28mm one and swap it out for a Keihin CDKII 38mm, it will bolt right on the stock manifold and ony need to bore it out to match. One must you need to add is a SS impeller (15.5 is good for the 650). And getting a shorter/lighter pole is great, but a bit pricey if youre on a budget, it is possible to shorten yours with some cutting and glasswork (its a bit of work but worth it).

I agree about the handlepole. I would cut/ glass footholds in first thing...once you have them you won't ride a ski without them. Next would be straight bars and finger throttle is yours is thumb. I wouldn't put ANY money into trying to get power out of this engine. Just keep it reliable and find some large waves to get air. You can put a scupper in for @ $20, that seals better than any of the $$$$$$$ ones. A breather hose in the handlepole can be done for @ $10 and 2 hours work. Leave the carbs as is, or get the 38s...you will hardly notice a difference except in your wallet. You can modify the hood for @ $25 dollars and eliminate water intake also. My roommate has the exact ski and is always looking to spend money on his......I CANNOT recommend it to him, we can get superjets out here for what he wants to put into upgrading his 650

Attachments

• 0rr.JPG
    0rr.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 19
  • Barrel Roll.jpg
    Barrel Roll.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 25
The hood mod sounds like something of interest to me. Can you get me some info on that? I'm not planning on putting much in the way of cash into this thing, I'll try and get what I can used or fab up the parts at work. Right now I'm fighting with the flywheel to get it off the crank. I Dremeled off the burs in the intake manifold, picked up some paint and brass and copper plumbing elbows to correct the kinked lines I found. Hopefully I can get the flywheel off and this weekend I plan on polishing the exhaust ports. A buddy of mine is welding the exhaust injection port for me and I'll be re-drilling it plus re-routing the cooling lines, apparently this mod gives it about 10 more hp from what I've heard. I have one piece reeds from my last 650 so that part is already well since paid for and if needed I'll get my buddy to weld an extension onto my ride plate and save me from buying a new one. So far I've only put about 50 bucks into it for the modds, the only real expense was 75 bucks for a new hood seal. But it was needed and there's no point in using the ski if the hood won't seal. That's about as far as I've made it for now. If I could get an inexepensive used handle pole later on I'd go for it. But with things being as slow at work as they are I am very limitted to affordability right now.

lvfreestyle

I Know Things
Welding

if your buddy can weld, have him build you a new handlepole bracket, 1 that is as low as possible, and forward as can be ,and clamps the pole tight, this will bring the nose down and give you a lot more control, can be made of zinc plated steel, 1/8 plates at Home depot or lowes will cost you @ $12....well worth the time and expense, do this BEFORE The rideplate.

I can get almost anything I want for materials. I work in a machine shop and was planning on getting some aluminum to build a pole, but I would like to see some drawings of how other people have done it. Mainly the mounting bracket, I can always come up with some tubing and figure the rest out. As for the suggestion about the SJ, if you SJ guys could check into the original post to this thread before mentioning that please. Due to my location (Ontario Canada), Yamaha chose not to supply us with SJ's and still will not give us a fair chance. The local dealer here has been with Yamaha for well over 10 years and told me they can't even order one, Yamaha simply will not budge on Canadian sales. I have asked at least 16 dealerships across Ontario to help me find one but they've all said they've never been able to order one and good luck on the search. I can't afford a new one anyway but the point is, unless one has come from the U.S. either new or old, it was only sold in the U.S. which makes them extremely rare around here. I could be waiting for 20 years before one happens to show up around here so I have to work with what's available...even if it does require investing some small amount. None the less, thanks for the suggestion. I am fully willing to accept any SJ in as good of condition as my ski is, for the same price, and shipped for free :biggrin:

lvfreestyle

I Know Things
Mods

I didn't know you had the capability of making a pole but was going to suggest it. if you email me: brad.w.bull@gmail.com. I can send pics and dimesions of an OEM pole which should be -2"....I would do the Rick Roy version, NOT adjustable, welded. Bottom can just be 1/4 flat aluminum plate with bolt holes drilled, cap the top with 1/2' flat welded all the way around both tubes and fab steering with 1/2 tubing and 1/8 plate...should be simple Roll and tack sheet Aluminum for cosmetics or Fiberglass. That's how my new pole is gonna be when I get around to it. Bracket is amazingly simple use OEM 650 as example, lower/forward..look like Superjet style. only width you have to worry about is both tubes and available space to mount. drill holes in top of 1/2 plate for cables air tubes @ 1/16th less OD of tubes.
You are gonna have to make a chinpad, just carve a design out of styrafoam and shape with sandpaper, coat with clear packing tape and glass away, make sides/ botom a little long, trim to fit pole, then hydroturf away. Simple.
Sorry you can't get a superjet, people are just trying to save you time, money and disappointment. A lot of us took the same path with Kawis to discover the hard way that it will NEVER come close to a Superjet for freestyle....recreation riding, they can be similar. That being said, just spend your time on lightening the hull, doing all hull mods cheap, but effective. Most power mods on this ski are gonna be useless, there are just too many limitations, unless they are VERY cheap, or free. If you must increase power, DO IT WITH NITROUS OXIDE!!! You can add 25-80 HP for @ $ 600-800 ($ 300 when you figure out what works and what doesn't, the 2nd time you put NO2 on a ski) Most mods for that ski , and many others, don't live up to their claims, or take forever to tune, readjust tuning for other "upgrades"......this will leave your ski OEM/ reliable and you should be able to compete with a slightly modified 650 Superjet. If you COMPLETELY upgrade your pump, Blueprint, lowest Swirl prop available, bore nozzle, lengthened/ speed up steering,...you can compete with a "limited" 701-"B"pipe combo that a lot of people run.(IF you run 40-50+HP) N02.
In short, do all the hull mods then seek out BIG waves

Last edited:
Sounds good, I'll send you an e-mail later tonight. All of the mods I have on the go right now are free :biggrin: I am modding the exhaust, the head pipe is being taken care of right now and I'll finish the rest when I get the head pipe back. The single piece reeds I already have from my last 650 and the jets are dirt cheap. A new pump nozzle would be nice but from what I've read, my ski already comes stock with either an 80mm or 84mm nozzle. Can't open it up any more though because it's just the cheap plastic version. The steering mod is very easy after reading the reply about it here. The impeller is another priority mod I want to do but right now the coin just isn't available. Also this weekend I plan on polishing my exhaust ports and maybe closer to the warmer temps I'll mill the head. All but the impeller are free mods for me to do. Last night I de-burred the intake manifold getting rid of the casting slag which I've read is worth it. The gains are very minimal but still recommended. I'll also be sharpening the blades on the stock impeller, that should help a little and working on designing an intake grate with some aluminum. That will be a long time coming but hopefully closer to the middle/end of summer I'll have something figured out. Thanks for the suggestions and you'll get an e-mail from me for sure. :biggthumpup:

Last edited:

lvfreestyle

I Know Things
side exhaust

ditch the rear exhaust, cut your water box in half, drill water holes bigger, add 1 more air tube, cap from exhaust (to rear of ski) relocate exhaust outlet to front, route exhaust out left side of ski. outlet is simple to make too, make it so it is FLUSH with the hull (mounts on the inside) gets hull a little more oily but no worry about fingers catching on it. Trust me. Pull out OEM tubing and cap end either with fiberglass or Aluminum, fill with foam. DONE

You'll lose @ 15lbs and your ski will not hesitate on tailstalls, even normal takeoff will be faster.
Engine maintainance is simpler too. I haven't had rear exhaust in 4 years, on any of my 5 skiis I've had. This mod will make your water trick seem silly by comparison. If that nets you 10 this will double that, of course I don't think cutting your water back is gonna give you 10 HP.
You will get much better throttle response, with this trick + you won't need one of those worthless anodized Blowsion exhaust rings, kinda like streamers on a girls bike I guess. My buddy got one and his wallet ran $50 lighter. It's nice if you like jewelery for your ski though. gave my wrong email, edited that post

Last edited:
Do you mean an extra air intake tube for the engine compartment? If so I have some ideas for that when I get started with the new handle pole. If I do decide to go with a side exhaust, I think I would leave the original rear exit tubing to use with a scupper :cool:

Top Bottom