Other Suggestions? prepping for paint and turf?

Im going to start by saying, This will be my first paint and turf job. Im trying to go with this pink. The color was picked out by one of my felow stunt riders. Got the color code already and its a house of kolors paint. pics below. My objective is to paint it pink on top and handpole and bottom black. Any good suggestions for when i start the removal of paint and sanding. What grit should i sand to? Any other prep i should start with painting. Also whats ur suggestions on turf color that will go well with this? Im thinking 2 tone diamond.

Attachments

• dave miller.jpg
    dave miller.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

grezzmky

Suckin paint fumes
red scotch bright and 320 grit sandpaper on a DA with and interface pad. Use a white primer sealer first then put the pink directly on that after the sealer flashes.

Diametunim

Throwin around a 550
All depends on how much effort you want to put into things. Your ski is only going to look as good as the effort you put into it. When I painted my 550 I sanded all the way down to the SMC using 220 -> 300 -> 400 -> 600 -> 800 -> 1000 grit sandpaper. Then filled in all of the gouges and small scratches with automotive filler. Sanded some more and then primed and sanded the primer with 1000 grit until smooth. Then I filled everything in one more time and sanded again with 1000 grit. Primed and sanded again. Then painted.

All in all the prep alone took me about 3 months to finish working 3-4 hours a day during the summer before calling it quits. This is how it turned out though.

22766_755711501170_23904635_4217486.jpg

I suggest you use hardeners when you paint your ski as well or you'll learn like I have that it's very easy to chip the paint off if you happen to hit the side of your ski with something.

i dont mind putting the time in the time will go fast and would only take me a week or so to prep for paint ive prepped before and everything comes out good just looking for good tips for it all. And maybe what type of turf i should go for that would go good with the pink

grezzmky

Suckin paint fumes
do NOT paint over 1000! a waste of time and it will NOT stick as well. I am a professional painter. Do DOT do that. Filler needs atleast 180 to stick and there is no paint that needs a finer scrath then 600 grit. I alwase use the lowest grit i can on something that will get used a lot. If it were a car i would either 600 then base or 400 then seal and base. sealer will cover 320 so that is your best bet.

2010brandingo

TEACH ME HOW TO DOUGIE!
do NOT paint over 1000! a waste of time and it will NOT stick as well. I am a professional painter. Do DOT do that. Filler needs atleast 180 to stick and there is no paint that needs a finer scrath then 600 grit. I alwase use the lowest grit i can on something that will get used a lot. If it were a car i would either 600 then base or 400 then seal and base. sealer will cover 320 so that is your best bet.

x2... professional painter myself and you took the words right out of my mouth. House of Kolor recomends that you DO NOT paint over anything less than 400 grit. 320/400 grit, sealer, then paint is your best bet...

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
Yup. I painted my ski in all HOK and the primer was supposed to be 180 grit max (80-180 grit).
After primer, 400 grit max.

i was thinking 2 tone piink and black diamond on top. all the way around like i already have it. Just hard to say if thats really the color i wanna go with

Top Bottom