Super Jet Superjet 650 to 701 swap help/advice

Ok guys pretty new to yamahas been riding kawis for a few years and finally wised up and bought at SN superjet 650. Great running and looking SJ 650 but i bought it with full intentions of turning it into a fun freeride/freestyle ski and dropping a 701 in it, now the question begins which 701 do i drop in it for great bottom end snap for doing freestyle tricks? From what ive read the 61x 701 is the best option and platform to get started with for a great reliable freestyle motor. I welcome a opinions and adivce! Thanks guys -Jake

we found a 701 61x with single carb 701 out of a wetjet kraze .. it also has the kick ass carb set up that came on the Kraze with 48 mm carb and tallker intake with built in reed stuffers .. then added a factory b pipe .. the ski rocks !

but any 701 will be a huge improvement .... just find a nice doner waverunner vxr or a model that has a 701 in it .. swap the engines and sell off the waverunner with teh 650 to fund it ( maybe even end up witha 701 for free by the time you sell off the waverunner iif you got a decent price ) .. then add a factory B pipe and later maybe find a top loader and get a new impeller and your good to go with not too much money invested .. most bang for your buck .. in the mean time you will be learning about what you like and what you might like to do more than that and can then decide if that is enough or iff you want to do more ..

we did that with my sons first SN superjet even with just the 701 and stock impeller set up it was still a HUGE power improvement

I also have a second carb set up off a wetjet Kraze .. I would consider selling but it will not be cheap .. I have seen the intakes alone sell for $300 .. if i can get $450 for that complete set up I would sell it ... 48mm carb and the westcoast "wetjet" intake with reeds all original wetjet specific set up ..

Last edited:
we found a 701 61x with single carb 701 out of a wetjet kraze .. it alsoi has teh kick ass carb set up that came on the Kraze with 48 mm carb and tallker intake with built in reed stuffers .. then added a factory b pipe .. the ski rocks !

but any 701 will be a huge improvement .... just find a nice doner waverunner vxr or a model that has a 701 in it .. swap the engines and sell off the waverunner with teh 650 to fund it ( maybe even end up witha 701 for free by the time you sell off the waverunner iif you got a decent price ) .. then add a factory B pipe and later maybe find a top loader and get a new impeller and your good to go with not too much money invested .. most bang for your buck .. in the mean time you will be learning about what you like and what you might like to do more than that and can then decide if that is enough or iff you want to do more ..

we did that with my sons first SN superjet even with just the 701 and stock impeller set up it was still a HUGE power improvement

Thanks for the detailed response! Ive also read that throwing a factory pipe on a 701 is a night and day difference from the stock exhaust and gives it awesome bottom end snap!

iangdesign

Cats, lots of cats!
Mine is a sport ported 701, milled stock head, 44 sbn, riva red pipe, bored nozzle and solas 17/23 and it hits like a ton of bricks on the bottom end.

But like the previous poster said, look for a waverunner 3 and just swap the engines and resell the waverunner.

Ok so SBT.com is confusing heres the link of what im looking at http://www.shopsbt.com/jet-skis/yamaha-jet-ski-engine-standard.html
They have a 701T, 701X, and 701S im not sure if the letter represents the cases or the cylinders? The 701S model says its for a 94-05 superjet and the 701X model says its for a 94 fx1 but no where on that list is a superjet. I know im overthinking this but didnt the fx1 and the superjet have the same engine? All these cases and cylinder combos is stressing me out lol

Byeai

"Cheetos-Man"
If u want a x motor get a x if u want a t/x get one if u want a full t get one mouting it the hull is the same location

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

It's all the same just get a 701

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Obviously its not all the same seeing as how there is 3 different engine combos. Im trying to decide what is best for freestyle as i stated in my first post and i have no previous prefrence on what motor i want seeing as how ive never owned a yamaha before.

looks to me like the 701S is a 62t/61x. The 701T lists all couch models that should have came with 701 62t/62t motors (not the motor you want for freestyle). the 701x motor has 61x cases (notice how the intake faces up). To be 100% call SBT and ask so you know you get the right thing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom