Super Jet superjet handling?

I have a 90 701 sn and a 93 650sx. The 650sx has great handling and can practically turn on a dime but the sn has to make a huge arc to turn. It has an aftermarket pole and possibly aftermarket turn plate but i dont know what a stock one looks like so i couldnt tell. Heres a pic of it.bars.jpg Any suggestions?

That steering plate appears to be upside down as you can see what should be the adjustable holes for the steering mount on the left side. We can see that the plate itself is turning enough but the throw does look a bit shorter(and slower) becuase your steering cable is mounted closer to the centre of your steering plate. This will change the handling a bit.

Have you thought of undoing the knuckle the steering cable hooks too and putting it on the other side in those pre drilled holes?

Last edited:
Routs1 hah I had changed the side of the cable during the winter to the other side and right when i got in the water noticed it was backwards so i just moved it back but ill flip the plate tonight. Skidiggity i havent heard of modding the nozzel side. Is there a thread on that or a part to buy? Im interested in making the handling the best it can be before changing the power of the ski.

Well the plate wasn't put upsidown by mistake. the handlebars can only be put on the top of the plate which makes it hit the home made pole. I have to lower the handlebar mount about a half an inch for it to work... more time that the ski isn't in the water. Skidiggity ill look into that once I see the handling difference of the flipped plate, thanks for the reference it doesnt seem like a difficult mod. Also I measured my pole and its about 43 inches and a stock on is about 39. I plan on having a friend cut it to about 36 inches. Does that sound like a good length?

This may be a silly question, as the picture quality isn't great, but what is holding the actual steering cable in place? It seems to be free floating with a zip tie holding it. Is there any movement of the actual outta housing when turning?

that home made hillbilly pole is the entire problem. the geometry is all wrong. the steering cable in the center is all wrong and puts the cable at a rotten binding angle. the turn plate could be flipped over if you counter sink the bar clamp holes on the flat side. ive used kawi turn plates on yamaha by doing this. the bearings still roll even tho the machining wont match up. then the ball will be farther out, using the 3 holes and that'll make it a quick steer. unfortunatly that will put the cable on an even worse bind. the cable should be running down the right side, not in the middle. right now the ball is way too close to center and not throwing the cable enough. who ever designed that pole has no business making anything.

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
That is a yami turn plate. The whole plate and bars are flipped over. Bars should be on top of the plate.

That pole is ghetto fabulous.

tomski

X
The bars are on top of the plate, just everything has been rotated 180°. A Kawasaki turnplate would have been a better choice. But still a terrible design.

Looks like someone made that there contraption to me.

Perfect description.

Attachments

• bars.jpg
    bars.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 105
I bought the ski with the pole already on it. I think I'm either gonna chop it and figure out a different way to run the steering cable up to the bars. The other option is have a friend help weld another ghetto pole that would work a little better. Once I get off work ill figure something out and any advice would be great. Thanks for the quick responses

Mdavies may be onto something here, the steering cable housing should be clamped down so that the cable itself is moving back and forth within it. In the pictures it appears it would move with the cable to some extent which would fubar your motion at the nozzel.

Top Bottom