SX/SXi/SXi Pro Sxi Build - Second Time

Last April I purchased a 95 Sxi that had been sitting outside for five years. All I really did was clean it, turf it, and switch out the gas. It ran for about an hour before the engine blew up (top and lower end). I still don't know what I'm going to do about an engine. Either buy one from SBT, rebuild, or find one. Now I am going to really rebuild this ski. Luckily it's already turfed, but with the engine out I can really get in the bilge area and clean and replace parts. Any ideas would be appreciated. First thing is I'm going to clean the bilge area and repaint it.
IMAG0361.jpgIMAG0362.jpgIMAG0364.jpgIMAG0363.jpgIMAG0179.jpgIMAG0131.jpg

Spray it down with a bleach/water mix let it sit for a few minutes and pressure wash the hell out of it.

Last night I started stripping more of the Bilge. Also ordered some bilgekote paint for the inside and all new fuel and water lines. Probably clean and sand on the inside this weekend. IMAG0369.jpg

Ejake

straight cash homie
Kyle, make sure you clean the area real good and dry it. Go to wholesale paint supply or an orielys paint store and get a few grey scotch pads and scuff the area good. It will save you from sanding.

Bilgekote is good stuff. I used it this past season and with very minimal prep work (clean, scrub and dry) it looks great and is holding up great. I think you're going to have a bunch left over. I only used a little over 1/2 of one can for 2 coats.

IMAG0384.jpg Sanded and cleaned a little today. I've got some more to do but I think I should be ready to paint the bilge this weekend and start putting everything back in.

Depending on the riding you do, I would think about throwing a small pin 750 in that ski. They have much better bottom and mid than the motor you took out of there. Try to find something out of a '94 if you can, or even a '93. The cranks in the '92s are not rebuildable, so stay away from those.

I'm wanting to make my hood weigh less on my sxi. Anyone have any pics and tips? Also, any weight reduction ideas in general.
did you grind all the excess glue out of the bond line before you made the engine bay all pretty? Just start removing all the little extra parts that are on the ski and it adds up

Heres a few to give you some ideas on weight loss. Like Kreg said, just dive in there and get all the unneeded stuff out. It all adds up. I shed almost 10lbs from the hood alone. The rest is minimal but all helps. I still havent tackled the stock foam, I havent looked into it yet but I'm sure I could loos a few lbs there.
14318989.jpg

d6581816.jpg

68eb9117.jpg

6fb7d8bc.jpg

73f4cb92.jpg

Started working on the ski again this weekend. I am ready for an engine. If I can find a cheap used engine I will do that. If not I will order from SBT or JetManiac. If anyone knows a of a cheap engine. Please give me a shout.

Top Bottom