SXR 04+ CDI in a stock 750SX?

HI folks,

I was just wondering if it would be of any upgrade to fit an SXR 04+ CDI in a 750SX stock. I have an extra one handy and I was thinking it might help the stock SX with no timing advance.( I also have the stock SXR stator and FW as I went TL on my SXR.) The SX probably had the head milled as it has 180psi in both holes.

Any taughts?
Cheers!

I know the 98-03 cdi is a good upgrade for a little extra advance. You might need to also swap in the stator for it to work. I dont know off hand but the rest of the e-box should be the same. I run mine with a advance plate and 93/110 octane mix for security. Runs like a champ.

Thx for the input! I found on another post that the 04+ CDI is DC powered instead of AC. Which brought me to understand why it is so easy to go TL on the 04+ SXR using the TBM FW. I found the electrical schematics in the service manual, I think I'll give it a try and rewire it properly to accomodate the later CDI. I`m just not so sure about the timing curve of the SXR compare to the earlier SX (looks like a small pin). I don't want to screw up the engine.

The curve shouldnt be too much more aggressive, I wouldnt worry about that as much as the wiring. You could always try and sell yours and look for a 98-03 or 750xir cdi that will bolt right in. There was also a msd for sale earlier this week pretty cheap.

I run a sxr cdi on my 750 and it works better than the advance plate because it controlled the rpm advance range and if your running 180psi you should be running 92 plus octane your stock head is probably milled to 0 squish also the sxr cdi will give you about 100 rpm's more

I run a sxr cdi on my 750 and it works better than the advance plate because it controlled the rpm advance range and if your running 180psi you should be running 92 plus octane your stock head is probably milled to 0 squish also the sxr cdi will give you about 100 rpm's more
03 sxr cdi correct? The 04 and newer are different

Magyar68

Really!!!
Just to note the 92 SX has an 89mm exhaust port, anything later is 93mm or higher (depending on year) If it were mine I would find out the Exhaust hight for equipment that CDI was intended for. Most likely its 96mm or higher. Good luck and let us know, either way.
750 cylinders and heads.jpg

I know the 98-03 cdi is a good upgrade for a little extra advance. You might need to also swap in the stator for it to work. I dont know off hand but the rest of the e-box should be the same. I run mine with a advance plate and 93/110 octane mix for security. Runs like a champ.
Mark the flywheel and check timing from idle to rev limit. Some of the early CDI have no retard curve. The CDI used in XIR and all SXI through 03 has more advance at low rpm and drops 5 degrees up top for safe full throttle runs. I would not use an advance plate with pump gas for any full throttle running.

Top Bottom