SXR SXR 800 Lites Ride Plate testing

Time to start a thread to share my experience and hear others opinion on these ride plates. Tested TBM and Prowatercraft racing plates on my lites ski with TBM sponsons and TBM loader. Both are great plates and hats of to both companies. I felt that the the TBM carved and kept the nose planted well. The prowatercraft rode more flat but was more forgiving and seemed to let the ski come around more quickly. It had a little more "snap turn" feel to it (those who raced superstock superjets will like it). Straight line tracking was great on both. I think the TBM rode a little nose heavy in glass, but perfect in chop. Prowatercraft kept the ski short but you had to watch the post turn hop a little. I actually liked both and think I will test some more to see which one I will stick with. Wish I could do some testing with a skattrak loader and other sponsons but time to get back to my day job so I can save for a SXR1500! Opinions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skat trak cut back intake grate, pro watercraft rideplate, pro watercraft hfc rear sponsons, blowsion front sponsons. Absolute best combo imo and i tried a ton of different stuff

100% agree - I tested everything under the sun. Literally 10+ grates and 10+ plates

The only other combo that I liked was the JSU/KOMMANDER/BULLET ride plate with no washers in rear. It produced a little looser feel in the rear - with nose high. But for racing I would only go with what was listed

Precipitation Hardened
Edit: My mitake. o_O Both @user_error and @MTRHEAD are on 08+ Superjets and I read the title too quickly.

My setup on my 800 was a Skat grate, Bullet plate and Blowsion front sponsons on my stock SXR hull. I ran the same on my Trinity hull except with Prowatercraft front sponsons. I never had good luck with rear sponsons on the SXR hull due to lift.

Last edited:

tomski

X
I'm currently on a Skat-Trak stainless grate and Bullett carbon plate with equal washers in all four corners. I use nozzle angle to dictate attitude. It sticks like glue. I had a Worx 228 but sold it when @MTRHEAD found me a Skat. I haven't tried the Prowatercraft plate but plan to this year just for testing sake.

I don't have any sponsons... yet. We'll see as time goes on.

The only major handling issue I'm getting is left/right balance. I need to corner weigh my ski and build ballast so it's even on each side.

This thread is for SXR 800.

SXR 800 Lites Ride Plate testing

Big Kahuna

Administrator
Stock I preferred the TBM combo. In surf, stock plate worked fine also. I had the opportunity to borrow a Limited SXR (mild) with same combo. In this setup the TBM plate did not let the SXR scrub speed coming I to turns. I know many would cut windows for Limited and SS. Skis.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

TBM does not work at all above 55 mph. Lifts too much and makes the ski dart left right dangerously. Good for heavy slow riders in chop though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I disagree. I've put together several skis with tbm rideplates and they work well. Even rented one at WF and the rider went on to win the womens limited class on it

I'm not saying TBM is the holy grail of rideplates, but for a lot of riders they work well because they require less effort to get the ski to turn the way you want it to. That is the ultimate goal of handling parts correct?

Lastly, a stock/lites ski is the last one i would use a Tbm plate on because they have a tendency to scrub some speed due to planting more of the hull in the water when on plane. I feel they work BEST on faster skis

I disagree. I've put together several skis with tbm rideplates and they work well. Even rented one at WF and the rider went on to win the womens limited class on it

Right it will work fine for stock or limited. Like I said below 55 mph. 55-60 it is not great and no way on a SX-R 800 above 60 mph.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

TBM back in the day had tremendous success with their plate on superstocks over 60mph. I used a modified one on a sxr1100 briefly and a buddy of mine still does. Seems to work well enough. Not my personal preference but I think there are many other rideplates that do not perform even close to pro watercraft, bullett, or tbm plates. All of them work on fast skis and the tbm is the only one i wouldnt use on a lites/stock ski

Want to make it even better? Get a vane nozzle. 750 st or sts It’s cast at 82.5mm +/-.2
Makes rear of ski a little more stable. Sleeve it down, if required, depending on your prop. It does require using the white metal steering nozzle (some cutting required) or adding bosses to use oem plastic steering. It is a change you can feel

Octane_114

LeT tHe gOOd tImEs RoLL
Want to make it even better? Get a vane nozzle. 750 st or sts It’s cast at 82.5mm +/-.2
Makes rear of ski a little more stable. Sleeve it down, if required, depending on your prop. It does require using the white metal steering nozzle (some cutting required) or adding bosses to use oem plastic steering. It is a change you can feel

What pump are you using this nozzle with? I run a 145 is why I am asking.

I have had good results with a trimmed tbm grate and a shredmaster plate. Rear is loose but it gives you the leeway of sliding through the corners. Lots of good feedback on this thread.

That nozzle was for stock spec class. Oem pump. Don’t think it has enough meat to open up to match the back of a skat mag pump. You could add a ring or two to help make the transition. I did that when I tried a JD nozzle. I spent hours and hours tuning with different rings and cones.

What pump are you using this nozzle with? I run a 145 is why I am asking.

I have had good results with a trimmed tbm grate and a shredmaster plate. Rear is loose but it gives you the leeway of sliding through the corners. Lots of good feedback on this thread.[/QUOT

TBM back in the day had tremendous success with their plate on superstocks over 60mph. I used a modified one on a sxr1100 briefly and a buddy of mine still does. Seems to work well enough. Not my personal preference but I think there are many other rideplates that do not perform even close to pro watercraft, bullett, or tbm plates. All of them work on fast skis and the tbm is the only one i wouldnt use on a lites/stock ski

I agree with from my testing as well. Wish I could get the pro watercraft speed with the tbm turning on my lites ski. I even tried machining the tbm back mounts down a bit to get less scrub. I would think this plate works great with more power. Again, both are great plates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Octane_114

LeT tHe gOOd tImEs RoLL
Anyone ever run a shred master? I picked up a pro watercraft. Somehow the stock plate keeps finding it’s way back on my ski. Although I’m not racing just playing in the rive and lake.

Top Bottom