SXR Hood Mods

Orlando_Gator

2004 800 sxr
Searching these forums can be painstaking... so I decided to start a new one about one topic - hood mods.

What has everyone done for [home made] hood mods in the way of:
-straps?
-air intake block off?
-finger holds on the outside of the hood?
-reducing weight?

Most of these things can be done with creativity and a few hours, so I figured we'd put all the hood mods in one spot.

Most interesting to me at this point is where do you drill the secondary hood holes after you do the blockoff on the main hood hole in the front? If you put them in the back, how big of holes and how many (pics?)? And does anyone have any problems with too much water or too little air after they make the mods? Thanks very much!

wnb800

spending green
just the entire liner out of your hood EXCEPT for the rear "box" that takes off about 6-8lbs depending if your waterlogged or not. then drill a hole in the back of the hood which allows for better breathing. then get some duct tape and put it over the intake hole in the front. no problems or issues that are hood related.

WHERE-THE-SEAT-AT
here you go, alot of failed barrel rolls & still holding strong.

Attachments

• jet ski 001.JPG
    jet ski 001.JPG
    140 KB · Views: 1,532
  • jet ski 002.jpg
    jet ski 002.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 1,531
  • jet ski 003.jpg
    jet ski 003.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 1,740

Orlando_Gator

2004 800 sxr
Sweeeet. That's what I was hoping for... nice, detailed pics. Very nice man. Thank you.

PS: the middle picture looks like you have a couple of oyster shells sitting in your hood. hehe

WHERE-THE-SEAT-AT
keeps the hood from moving side to side & poping the latch loose. i would still recommend hood staps, saved my ski many times.

you guys should like this..... it lowered about 1.5-2 inches from stock. it weighs in right at 12.8lbs.. i jumped on it numerous times and it gave me nothing but satisfaction.... i will be adding light inlet tubes to drop the water in the hull so it dosent go splashing in from either side... the sides and front and back seal areas are strengthened up.. the center has patches of 40oz cloth so my ratchet strap wont cave the hood in... i will be adding turf to the sides to help from side to side movement.. spent about $60 in materials.. a far cry from a $1000 trinity hood... although i would still love that....

Attachments

• IMGP1340.jpg
    IMGP1340.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 666
  • IMGP1341.jpg
    IMGP1341.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 541
  • IMGP1342.jpg
    IMGP1342.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 584
  • IMGP1343.jpg
    IMGP1343.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 500
  • IMGP1344.jpg
    IMGP1344.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 486
more pics

Attachments

• IMGP1345.jpg
    IMGP1345.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 421
  • IMGP1346.jpg
    IMGP1346.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 387
  • IMGP1280.jpg
    IMGP1280.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 494
  • IMGP1184.jpg
    IMGP1184.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 474
  • IMGP1191.jpg
    IMGP1191.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 506
thanks man, this was actually still my stock hood..... i had a mental break down with my hood and the hood i got from you... your hood is sitting cut up in my garage...

should be a peach.... all work done with epoxy resin, all new 4lb foam in back and very very meticulously prepped surfaces for best adhesion... i have no doubt that she will be fine for years to come.... and this is my first experiences with doing fiberglass work

djkorn1

kidkornfilms
Site Supporter
should be a peach.... all work done with epoxy resin, all new 4lb foam in back and very very meticulously prepped surfaces for best adhesion... i have no doubt that she will be fine for years to come.... and this is my first experiences with doing fiberglass work

How much weight did it lose?

How much weight did it lose?

lol totally forgot to weight it before i started but right now its at 12.5lbs ready for paint........... so i keep hearing stock ones are around 25lbs... so say a total of 12 to 13 lbs.... its no trinity hood tho!! im extremely happy with it for my first time

Top Bottom