SXR Hood Mods

just got done my hood straps, got some straps from an outboard motor cover and some stainless fittings it was quick, cheap and bigger straps than u buy on the internet

Attachments

• hoodstraps 1.jpg
    hoodstraps 1.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 379
  • hood straps 2.jpg
    hood straps 2.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 419
  • IMG_6029.jpg
    IMG_6029.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 440

djkorn1

kidkornfilms
Site Supporter
lol totally forgot to weight it before i started but right now its at 12.5lbs ready for paint........... so i keep hearing stock ones are around 25lbs... so say a total of 12 to 13 lbs.... its no trinity hood tho!! im extremely happy with it for my first time

That hull looks tough as nails...pics of it painted?:mischievous:

Is another breather necessary if you block off the front and cut the extra hole in the back? Will the one breather allow enough air for the engine? I've seen pics with both, wondering if its good either way.

You will want to add the other breather in the back. I also relocated my front drop down tube to the rear as well. My ski does not bog after subs, fountains, stabs, etc.

Attachments

• Hood.jpg
    Hood.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 593
Here's mine that I modified For my dry pipe, it doesn't take on hardly any water but bogs horribly after submersion.

You will want to add the other breather in the back. I also relocated my front drop down tube to the rear as well. My ski does not bog after subs, fountains, stabs, etc.
How's that setup do for water intrusion? I'm considering adding another tube in the rear or leaving the front breather half open.

Attachments

• Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 499
  • Picture 006.jpg
    Picture 006.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 390
Last edited:

1)How did you attach your 2nd tube? it looks like you just clamped it like the factory one.
2)Is it better to have them on either side of the air box or side by side?
3)Does the length of tube make a difference?
4) What did you do to your air tube in the front? tape/block it off or did you leave it open?
Thanks

1)How did you attach your 2nd tube? it looks like you just clamped it like the factory one.
2)Is it better to have them on either side of the air box or side by side?
3)Does the length of tube make a difference?
4) What did you do to your air tube in the front? tape/block it off or did you leave it open?
Thanks

I cut out the part that the tube clamps on the front and expoxied it in the rear. I used the stock tube up front which was me being a cheap ass. I put the other one on the other side due to clearance issues. The length of the tube was shortened due to the head pipe of my wetpipe. The front intake was blocked off with the blowsion block off plate but any plug, duck tape, and or fiberglass will work.

How's that setup do for water intrusion? I'm considering adding another tube in the rear or leaving the front breather half open.

I do still get a fair amount of water during subs and fountains but that is just the nature of the beast. If you need air to get in, then water will get in when submerged. I run a versiplug and dual 500GPH bilges. I am always careful what way I lean my ski as well. So far I hardly ever if never get water in my carbs.

Whats is the point of the air tubes? I know they let air in but why are the like 10 inches long? whats the benifet of getting air from the bottom of the engine bay? Would it be better to cut them down to 2-3 inches? I have done the block off mod and cut open the rear part of the hood. Im running dual 500's and the ski bogs a little after a 3-4 second fountain. I think its just starved of air. Any ideas what i should be doing?

Thanks
Derk

Whats is the point of the air tubes? I know they let air in but why are the like 10 inches long? whats the benifet of getting air from the bottom of the engine bay? Would it be better to cut them down to 2-3 inches? I have done the block off mod and cut open the rear part of the hood. Im running dual 500's and the ski bogs a little after a 3-4 second fountain. I think its just starved of air. Any ideas what i should be doing?

Thanks
Derk
The point of the tubes is to keep the water that's coming in from getting sucked/splashed directly into the intake. I also think it's to muffle intake sound.

djkorn1

kidkornfilms
Site Supporter
The point of the tubes is to keep the water that's coming in from getting sucked/splashed directly into the intake. I also think it's to muffle intake sound.

Yep, stops water from being dumped into your carbs. The water comes in the same place as the air.

Texan33

Yacht Wakes Hunter
bump this. im getting ready to mod my hood just woundering if there is any other ideas out there to make it lighter

Here a picture of mine, I got all of the liner out except the rear part for the black rubber hoses. You can remove all the metal brackets like the hand grip at the front and fire extinguisher holder (Having a fire extinguisher attached to the hood is dumb in my opinion and I am going have it mount somewhere in the hull). I also removed most of excess glue I can find and made a hole similar to the other in the rear for air flow. My hood weight 14lbs right now and it's not done yet.

e5ik92.jpg

Top Bottom