SXR Motor Problems

Ok so I bought a ski not long ago and it ran fine. Today I had it running on the hose for probably 30 seconds and then it started to make a weird noise. Kind of like a ticking noise. My friend has an sxr too and his doesnt make this sound. I checked compression and it is 160 psi in both cylinders. Pulled the head and it the pistons and sleeves look fine. Just want to know what I should do from here. kinda new to two strokes so not sure what I'm doing here but I'm mechanically inclined. I fear it may be something crank?shaft related. What does a rebuild cost from a place like crank works? I saw i can buy one for $495 from them so I assume less than that. Should I pull the motor and pull it apart? also where can i buy hardware like head studs and bolts as we snapped one? went to kawasakipartshouse.com but theyre prices seem a bit steep. Hope you guys can point me in the right direction. A little bummed out as the season hasnt even started but hopefully I can get this figured out with your help.

Mike

did that everything seemed ok the starter seemed a little loose but i think that may be how it is since it sits on the cover. everything seemed ok. one other thing it only does it under compression because with the plugs out you dont hear it

cmeripper26

Ripper26
Im in CT and have any bolt or studs ur looking for, for ur SXR. I got all kinds of parts and experience with SXR's. Where is the ticking sound coming from? What do ur plugs look like after running the motor?

ticking seems to be coming from internal of the motor. seemed like it was up front by the flywheel but i took the cover off and it seemed ok. plugs look fine. ski is running a tad rich but not too crazy. where in ct are you im in milford.

not sure what the key way is. sorry kinda new to this. It is not back firing it runs well. Just has a weird noise to it. the teeth on the bendix look fine and the flywheel as well it move around a bit but i assume its supposed to when the cover is off as the cover supports it.

ya i dunno a buddy who runs a superjet said it doesnt sound bad to him but my friend with a sxr his doesnt sound like that. I mean it does run fine its just a tough call at this point.

i have a 2007 sxr with a lot of hours on it. i just recently noticed the ticking you are talking about. not sure what it is yet. somtimes predetination has that sound. i am running 87 octane 60:1 with amzoil in my ski. my ski runs great and i haven't had any real problems yet. i am gonna try 93 octane first and then maybe 110. the only problem i have with the predetination theory is that by defintion it is a result of using too low an octane with too high a compression ratio. since my ski is stock and most likely worn, it doens't make sense to me, but its the easiest thing to try.

Tick Tick

Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick,

Does it sound like that?? Mine did the same thing. It would tick when rolling over on the starter, and when idling. It would go away when I revved the engine The aluminum spacer around the center crankshaft seal was moving. The dowel pin had wallered out the case, and the aluminum spacer was chattering. mine did it for an etire season before I found out what it was. I re-drilled the dowel pin hole in the case. You could also put a piece of o-ring between the spacer and the case to keep it from moving.

I don't know if running it like this will cause harm. The seal will probably begin to leak eventually. Its an easy fix. You don't even have to pull the top end apart, just pull the motor, and pull the bottom case off.

ok so i think the problem is what pacer described. Got a chance to pull the motor out today and pull the bottom of the case off. looks like that aluminum spacer in the middle is the culprit. here are some pics.
me.jpgme-2.jpg

from the wear marks you can see it was rattling around and scrapping on the case. Soooo now what do I do to fix this? thanks for all the help guys. Also I was incredibly amazed at how easy this was.

That was your problem.

I put a new crank in mine, just because I had 3 seasons on it racing endurace with the drypipe. It was the hole in the case for the dowel pin that was letting it move. I drilled a new hole for the dowel pin, and put a grove in the aluminum seal holder, and put a piece of O-Ring on the top and bottom. It worked like that all last summer with no more ticking.

You could do something like this. You dont have to change the crank.

ya im leaning towards a new crank as the guy before me had a dry pipe on it and i dunno for how long. the top end was definitely brand new so thats good. where should I go to buy a new crank? kind of new to this. Also where do I get a puller for the flywheel and coupler?

Last edited:
Buy a flywheel puller from Ebay. they are less than 20 bucks. Its just a long bolt. The mag flywheel screws on. Use heat and a long pipe wrench.

Do a search on sxr cranks. There are several different options. OEM, crankworks, hotrods, sbt.

I Run an SBT crank in mine. A lot of people tell horror stories about SBT, but I use them for customers all the time, and have had very few problems. I've had good luck with their 951s, and I haven't had any trouble with this crank.

ger87410

How did I get here?
Harbor freight had a good universal flywheel puller.

If you got 1 local, you don't have to wait for shipping.

Top Bottom