SXR Motor Problems

Just curious.
I the discoloration on the crank wheels rust and pitting?

ok so i think the problem is what pacer described. Got a chance to pull the motor out today and pull the bottom of the case off. looks like that aluminum spacer in the middle is the culprit. here are some pics.
View attachment 125270View attachment 125271

from the wear marks you can see it was rattling around and scrapping on the case. Soooo now what do I do to fix this? thanks for all the help guys. Also I was incredibly amazed at how easy this was.

ok so i think the problem is what pacer described. Got a chance to pull the motor out today and pull the bottom of the case off. looks like that aluminum spacer in the middle is the culprit. here are some pics.
View attachment 125270View attachment 125271

from the wear marks you can see it was rattling around and scrapping on the case. Soooo now what do I do to fix this? thanks for all the help guys. Also I was incredibly amazed at how easy this was.

Your labrynth seal has what is know as "Fretting" on the O.D. surface.

X2Pilot

X2 v2.0
nevermind, I looked at the pics again and see the stock flywheel.

XXX, Ive never heard that term fretting, but I have seen this on a few motors including my own. All had l/w flywheels and high rpm setups

nevermind, I looked at the pics again and see the stock flywheel.

XXX, Ive never heard that term fretting, but I have seen this on a few motors including my own. All had l/w flywheels and high rpm setups

Here is the Definition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fretting

Kawasaki 550-440 mod flywheel/crankshaft taper surfaces were notorious for this as well.

Fretting

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to:navigation, search
For fretting in music, see fret.
Fretting refers to wear and sometimes corrosion damage at the asperities of contact surfaces. This damage is induced under load and in the presence of repeated relative surface motion, as induced for example by vibration. The ASM Handbook on Fatigue and Fracture defines fretting as: "A special wear process that occurs at the contact area between two materials under load and subject to minute relative motion by vibration or some other force." The amplitude of the relative sliding motion is often in the order from micrometers to millimeters, but can be as low as 3 to 4 nanometers[1]. The contact movement causes mechanical wear and material transfer at the surface, often followed by oxidation of the debris and the freshly-exposed surface. The oxidized debris often act as an abrasive since it is usually much harder than the underlying metal surfaces. However, fretting can also occur in inert gases or in vacuum (e.g., in space).
Contents

[hide]
[edit] Steel

Fretting damage in steel can be identified by the presence of rust (iron oxide powder) and the rough, torn appearance of the pitted surface. The rust particles are much harder than the steel surfaces in contact, so abrasive wear is inevitable.
[edit] Products affected

Fretting examples include wear of drive splines on driveshafts, wheels at the lug bolt interface, and cylinder head gaskets subject to differentials in thermal expansion coefficients.
There is a current focus on fretting research in the aerospace industry. The dovetail blade-root connection and the spline coupling of gas turbine aerogines experience fretting during their service life.
[edit] Fretting fatigue

Fretting decreases fatigue strength of materials operating under cycling stress. This can result in so-called fretting fatigue whereby fatigue cracks can initiate in the fretting zone. Afterwards, the crack propagates into the material.
[edit] Mitigation

The fundamental way to prevent fretting is to design for no relative motion of the surfaces at the contact. Surface finish plays an important role as fretting normally occurs by the contact at the asperities of the mating surfaces. Lubricants are often effective in mitigation of fretting by reducing friction and inhibiting oxidation (e.g., reducing the exposure of the surface to air). Soft materials often exhibit higher susceptibility to fretting than hard materials of a similar type. The hardness ratio of the two sliding materials also has an effect on fretting wear.[2]
However, softer materials such as polymers can show the opposite effect when they capture hard debris which becomes embedded in their bearing surfaces. They then act as a very effective abrasive, wearing down the harder metal with which they are in contact.
[edit] See also

Its just a little bit of surface rust. I'm going to redrill a new hole in the spacer so the dowel fits tighter. Hopefully this works out and gets me through the season. Then over winter I'll get a new crank.
Just curious.
I the discoloration on the crank wheels rust and pitting?

Mr. SeXieR

Carry a gun,cops R2 heavy
For what its worth my buddy has an 05' thats been making that noise for two years, nnever a problem but hes ADD and hates that sound, been driving him crazy. Never has found a cause but he rides REALLY hard and havent had an issue. Guess when something finally breaks he'll figure out what it was, but so far no problems at all.

Top Bottom