SXR Sxr to aftermarket hull/ sj

I was just doing this for your opinions so let me hear it, I only have a couple years into this so give me your opinions.

I have an sxr thats stock that Ive had for about 3 years now, but i want to get into flat water freestyle along with keeping it ridable in the surf. Ive been contemplating what to do now for a year now and evaluating what I wanna do with the ski. My options are (in my eyes):

A: Keep the ski and dump all my money into parts on the my current ski which doesnt seem like a good idea to me since its so heavy and id like to learn some rolls and what not down the road.

B: Sell the ski, and get a superjet with some nice mods on it already for a nice deal and later on down the road pick up an aftermarket hull when I'm capable of using a hull like that to its full capabilities

C: Get the aftermarket hull, sell my hull, and put the sxr components into the new hull and just be done with it right off the bat

I'm looking for the most cost effective solution here, but also the one thats going to be the best for me in the long run. My budget isnt endless, but it could afford either option as long as the aftermarket hull can start with a stock power plant. I ride surf 5- 10 times a year but I want a boat that can also be a good teacher for rolls and such. Let me hear what you guys think is the best idea for me.

B or C.

I like Yamaha so I would go B.

But you would be happy as heck going to a Trinity SXR and moving all your components over no doubt!!

Edit: Nevermind I see you said flatwater free$tyle!

None of the above!

You will need a D option IMO.

Last edited:

WET BOX

STL Crew
First you need to decide if you want to ride an SXR, lightweight or not. Don't fool yourself by thinking there are not compromises either way. For what it is worth, I have a Trinity Evo on order...

Later

I was in the same place you are now 3 years ago and I took a chance and bought a WDK Envy hull that is cut back 3 1/2 ", it knock 90lbs. weight off the sxr hull which made the ski feel so much lighter and still carves and handles like a stock hull except it glides across the water instead of pushing and you feel like you pick up 25 hp. This was the BEST investment I have ever done in 36 years of jetsking and it made such of a imprecision on my friends that 2 of them bought envy's too and one of them was a superjet rider. So IMO this is one of the best all around hull design which you can get from WDK, Trinty, and a couple of others to buy from. The only regret you will have is that you did not do it sooner! There was a envy hull for sale on here a couple of months back.

I like everyones ideas here because theyre all ideas which I've definitely considered at one point or another.

Youll have to tell me your option d MADMAT

A complete A/m ski sounds nice but I feel like they're usually all over 10k which is a pretty hefty investment all at once chadman154

A trinity or a rok sounds pretty nice because i can sell my hull and just drop everything into the new hull, and they all look pretty awesome. But how is learning some rolls and what not on either of the hulls? And how is learning on a hull thats cut back like that? WET BOX & fastony

Same here! I worship my Envy and don't know what in the hell I would replace it with if I ever do! I didn't mention it because I wasn't sure if you could still get one....

And FWIW DJKorn immediately bought a Trinity Evo after riding mine (because he already had a SXR to strip just like you do) and they handle 100% identical! We can barely tell them apart power and handling wise. Mine is a complete Yami base and his is a complete Kawi base.

I had my Envy up for sale for about a second because I wanted to try something else....but I backed out because 1.)I needed it for a freeride 2.) I don't know what could top it for Lake Erie waves!

They are NOT flatwater boats at all though!

You will still be able to do pretty dadgum big rolls off boat wakes and you can do nice stabs on flatwater.....maybe some baby rolls (I can't because I have :):):):)ty roll form.... I need waves)....but no way can it be considered a "flatwater" boat these days...

djkorn1

kidkornfilms
Site Supporter
I bought an EME Q8 Sky and am rocking just a pipe on a stock sxr motor. love it in the surf

With any of these boats, (Envy or Trinity) you will be able to do flatwater rolls if that is your goal, but they are not small enough for flatwater backflips. You can also do rolls on a Superjet. The only thing the super small hulls will get you is the backy....but you lose SO MUCH handling, they become only for flatwater.

If I already had your boat, I would go with a Trinity -4 ES or XF and get a pipe and -2 SJ handlepole. You WILL love it and can do just about anything on it except for a flatwater backy. They are also fantastic surf boats, and great for just tearing around anywhere. I have a -2 ES and wish I would have went 2 more inches shorter. The weight difference is INSANE, and you will gain a ton of power. I love mine.

A modded out superjet isn't a bad idea either, but make sure it was already re-foamed and reinforced. They are VERY weak and will crack and leak. The Trinity's are bulletproof.

djkorn1

kidkornfilms
Site Supporter
last thing:

With the same weight hull, your Kawi 800 will take less mods than a 701 SJ to get the same power. I still only run a pipe and flywheel. Everything else is stock.

Nice! I meant with a stock motor. What kind of 1000?

Bobby did'nt clearly remember, but thought it was an EME. The hull was a full length EVO Pro. I have a -2 EVO Pro with a 4mm stroker (Daniels old boat) and the length is fine with the motor I have. Only thing I would change is to have the footholds farther forward about 3 inches. I also used to own a Bullet Racing SXR, that too is a fine ride. Neither are "flatwater" hulls, but great all around "rec" hulls for lake,river,surf IMHO. I beileive mine is 285 RTR, I'll get it on a scale with some fuel to check. Also the A/M SXR hulls don't take on near the water that OEM do and the tray has never had water in it on either one I've owned. Hope this helps

^^^^ could'nt hurt could it. A/M SXR hull/hoods are about 100lbs lighter, weight loss is spread front to back through material use and layup schedule. if you take 30lbs. from the front half of ski how would that affect it? IDK

I owned an SXR and ended up swapping all the components into a WDK ROK hull. My reasoning was similar to yours, wanted a freestyle mixed use boat, I owned the driveline and knew it was in good condition and wanted to keep it (bought the sxr barely used for $2500). I knew the SXR was not just too heavy for me, but also too long to flick around (I’m 5’6”) and I wanted the pole mount farther forward but I liked how the SXR’s handled versus the SJ’s. So what I wanted was a shorter, lighter, rockered SXR based hull, which narrowed it down to a few hulls.

I can’t say the process ordering from Jeff was pleasant (late with plenty of delays and excuses, items shipped separately, didn’t come with bilge or pissers fittings, never actually got a receipt for everything, few cosmetic defects in the hull etc, but it wasn’t the complete nightmare that I’ve heard). Going back might have ordered a QSM Vengance (or a Backie Chan if everyone likes the ride... done some carbon work myself and from the pics that guy's vac infused hulls look insane especially for the price) instead. I should get my first ride in on it this month, so I’ll let you know how I like it.

Oh and no matter what hull you buy, you’ll probably need an aftermarket waterbox, the SXR one is massive and aligned strangely (might work in an sxr splash like a trinity though).

Last edited:

Ejake

straight cash homie
I was in the same boat as the op. I deglued my sxr even took the tray out and deglued, cut the hood liner out, & removed any and all unnessary brackets. Did it help? I guess so, every ounce adds up right? I rode a few of my buddies envys and was about to cut my sxr hull back 3". It was before the cut back that I talked with Larry at QSM about his vengance hull. For me that was the best move/mod I've done. It's shorter than a stock hull, waaaay lighter, handles the chop, and yet you still can air it out. After getting this hull last July it's hard to even ride my wife's sxr that I've lightened.

Top Bottom