SXR Sxr to aftermarket hull/ sj

djkorn1

kidkornfilms
Site Supporter
I owned an SXR and ended up swapping all the components into a WDK ROK hull. .

A Rok hull even takes it a step further...more flingability, more agile, still got some good handling...and REALLY light. I liked the one I rode (addict's ski) a lot. This has a bit of a learning curve even going from my lightweight ES-2 trinity.

A lightweight SXR (Trinity, Envy, Quicktime) handles SO much different than a stocker! It is like getting a new ski with a lot more power. It'll take some time to learn, but still feel familiar. I truly believe it is the BEST mod for an SXR (obviously the most expensive too, but dollar for dollar, still the best mod)

A Rok hull even takes it a step further...more flingability, more agile, still got some good handling...and REALLY light. I liked the one I rode (addict's ski) a lot. This has a bit of a learning curve even going from my lightweight ES-2 trinity.

A lightweight SXR (Trinity, Envy, Quicktime) handles SO much different than a stocker! It is like getting a new ski with a lot more power. It'll take some time to learn, but still feel familiar. I truly believe it is the BEST mod for an SXR (obviously the most expensive too, but dollar for dollar, still the best mod)
Yup, if I was a taller/heavier guy I probably would have done an ES-2 like yours, read your posts a lot, we seem to have similar goals in riding and engine building (TBM flywheel and wetpipe but otherwise stock, for dead nuts pump gas reliablity). I loved how my SXR handled but it reminded me of being on a snowboard that was 5-10cm too long for me, I knew it carved well but it was too much for me to push. Hopefully the ROK ends up being the ski I want it to be, I'm hopeful based on your reviews.

Dapper_matt, in terms of cost I think I spent about 7,500 building it all said and done. Could have saved a few hundred if I had gotten an Xmetal pole instead of RRP pole and steering. The turfed hull shipped was around 5k I think, then add $250 for a waterbox, a $50-100 for new gas tank, new $130 oddsey battery to fit the hull, and a bunch of trips to ACE hardware. It's not far off from buing a built ski. I had some reasons for buying new but if you can wait and pounce on a deal it might be better.

Last edited:

djkorn1

kidkornfilms
Site Supporter
The Rok is FUN. I wish I had more time on one. If Trinity ever makes something like this, it will be time for me to upgrade.

My vote goes for option C. I was there too, but I didn't have the heart to dismantle my SXR, plus it's nice to have a different ride once in a while. Variety. I went with complete ski, and you are right, it will off set you at least $10k. Lets say you find a good deal on a Rok hull (http://www.x-h2o.com/threads/105373-New-WDK-ROK-Hull-Daytona-free-ride-delivery) except Kawi based, transfer everything over and sell your hull for about $1000, you would be out about $4k (give or take). I just got a Rok last year, and love it. I'm flatwater only and it's perfect for what we do with it. Super fun hull. Stable as hell, I can almost stop and stand in the tray, carves on a dime, about 40lb lighter than Superjet and probably 150 lb then SXR, nice wide tray....on and on and on. We owned two Superjets, one stock and one moded and it was just another step towards an aftermarket hull. It takes 3 things to do flatwater freestyle: Light hull, power and skill. You got the power (with a pipe), get a hull and the rest is up to you. I got two of those things and trying to grow balls for the third.
IMO!!!!!!
:feedback:

I'm still waiting for Sirmrmanguy to report on his Rok hull experience. Curious. He did what I wanted to do....
Sure, give me a week or so, the ski just arrived in NZ today, got a few last minute details to sort out since I kind of ran out of time before leaving the US.

-Trim the back of the intake grate a bit (its sitting on top of the ride plate right now, hillbilly550 did you have this problem?)
-Install bilge pump
-install pole spring (can an SXR spring work with an RRP pole and WDK bracket? Looks like I'll need a SJ spring, I think they are wound opposite of the SXR's)
-install tow hook
-install hood straps
-re-tune carbs

Also have to finish wiring up the trailer I bought here.

Last edited:
One thing you might want to think about is how far are you going to take it? A Lot of the freestyle aftermarket is Yamaha based . My buddy has a EME Q8 with a sxr drive train it is a great ski but the next step for him is a 1100/1200 engine and all that goes with it. And more and more its Yamaha but he is stuck with the Kawasaki drive train.

subhard

TITS OR GTFO
I'm in this same boat right now. I've dropped like 6k into mods for my SXR and now I want a flat water ski. First I wanted to do a swap into a Kawi bob, but its so much better and easier to do it all yami. So I'm just buying a rtr gen 3 instead. Plus I'd hate to take my beautiful SXR apart. I finally have it perfect. It's so fast and nice

djkorn1

kidkornfilms
Site Supporter
I don't think people realize how powerful an SXR engine is in light hull. If you put stock 701 Yami and 800 SXR motors in the exact same hull, the Kawi would completely smoke it.

Anyone get the DASA 1000 Kawi cylinder to work yet?

Big Kahuna

Administrator
I don't think people realize how powerful an SXR engine is in light hull. If you put stock 701 Yami and 800 SXR motors in the exact same hull, the Kawi would completely smoke it.

Anyone get the DASA 1000 Kawi cylinder to work yet?

It ought to be stronger. 100cc's more. But I agree. The sxr engine is strong.

Top Bottom