Tanker wave skiing

kraqus

Site Supporter
Dang dude.....just the word tanker makes me wet...ha ha!
This is coming from someone that rides Tug boats on a weekly basis.
I can only imagine the size of that wake.....ehem!....wave, is a wave at that point.
Make sure you strap your cameras and get some footage.
This thing is endless!

Benny

Last edited by a moderator:

smoofers

Rockin' the SQUARE!!!!
Site Supporter
Yep, that's EXACTLY what the wake looks like. Gets pretty scary when you air over one and then look down as you pass over the trough - at that point you are at least 10' above the surface of the water, but then you land on the next wave and its not too bad.

We have been DYING to do this again!!!!!!

Let's set something up.

So do you just chase one wake/wave all day? Where do you guys do this? The Denton crew is interested, but the 2 gallon gas tank guy (me) has some concerns about my range.

Aaron

smoofers

Rockin' the SQUARE!!!!
Site Supporter
So do you just chase one wake/wave all day? Where do you guys do this? The Denton crew is interested, but the 2 gallon gas tank guy (me) has some concerns about my range.

Aaron

The wave is formed off an island in Galveston Bay. Each wave lasts about 5-10 minutes or about 3 miles, which is nice so you don't just kill yourself by over-exertion. We usually launch near Shore Acres or a bit farther north, it's about a 3 mile crossing over to the island. Basically you wait for a tanker to come by the island and then it kicks the wake up until it passes the island. You rest and wait for the next one.

Last time we did it, Curtis (TexH20Racer) brought his seadoo jetboat and carried like 6-7 gas cans for us. It worked out pretty well. But you will use a lot of gas.... and last time i think we broke at least 3 skis. Just helps to be prepared.

tankerwake.jpg

Last edited:

QuickMick

API 1104 AWS CWI
Site Supporter
How about next weekend June 12th & 13th ???? Gives everyone a lil over a week to get ready. There was one of them lil pull behind your ski boat looking thing to carry gear in that I thought about buying just for this reason. I cant find it now.

smoofers

Rockin' the SQUARE!!!!
Site Supporter
How about next weekend June 12th & 13th ???? Gives everyone a lil over a week to get ready. There was one of them lil pull behind your ski boat looking thing to carry gear in that I thought about buying just for this reason. I cant find it now.

Dude! I saw that too on CL, the Aqua Trailer!!!!! Way overpriced though.... I have a raider hull you can have for free if you take all the parts off of it for me...

QuickMick

API 1104 AWS CWI
Site Supporter
A small group is going out tanker chasing tomorrow "Sunday" so if anyone else wants to join in come on. we are going to hit the water around 9 am.

Melmack

(Timothy)
Heard about this today at lake Travis. That looks sick. BB and I are interested. That reminds me of LSFR last fall when we rounded the jetty to hit the fishing boat wakes. That was a blast. Today we hit some big 30'+ cruiser wakes at Travis. It was a blast. Got my first complete roll in over 10 years of one of them wakes. It felt soooooooo good to roll again! I'm up for a Galveston or Port A wake ride any time.

Top Bottom