SXR TDR waterbox VS stock

Hey guys i Put a TDR water box in my SXR and it sounds great but it still has a rattle sound like somethings loose in the pump? it had it with the stock water box but i thought it was just the stock box anybody one how i can stop it?

[video=youtube;rj2tCEEAhEo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=rj2tCEEAhEo[/video]

The fist one is what mine sounded like with the rattle but the second one with the TDR box doesn't have it.

Last edited:
Ya there smaller and half the weight! not the easiest to install they say to take the engine out to do it but i got away with taking the flywheel cover off to take the tank out then once the tanks out its easy. just have to build up the box where it sits so the straps will hold it i using fiberlay expanding foam.223010_2201826201706_1128856646_2602397_7006614_n.jpg284295_2201824921674_1128856646_2602391_6903465_n.jpg284852_2201825161680_1128856646_2602392_7359696_n.jpg270195_2201825641692_1128856646_2602394_2521841_n.jpg

Waternut

Customizing addict
It's fairly normal for the pump to chatter like that when it's out of water. It probably doesn't do it with the TDR waterbox because the idle is higher and there is less driveline vibration or the waterbox is so much louder that it drowns out the other noises.

Cannibal

Tasty Human
just have to build up the box where it sits so the straps will hold it i using fiberlay expanding foam.

You don't want to let expanding foam get wet, it will absorb water. If you want, <you could get some of that pink polystyrene from Home Depot and build it up like that>(scratch this), or maybe some underlay padding, or just wrap the box in a couple layers of turf. Most people wrap with turf and tie a couple knots in the straps to shorten them.

Last edited:
I have and SXI that does that same chatter sound. Just a kawi thing.

Box sounds good. Way throaty. Just wait for the neighbors to get pissed.... hah

You don't want to let expanding foam get wet, it will absorb water. If you want, you could get some of that pink polystyrene from Home Depot and build it up like that, or maybe some underlay padding, or just wrap the box in a couple layers of turf. Most people wrap with turf and tie a couple knots in the straps to shorten them.

Dont use polystyrene in an engine compartment!! EVA floor padding is much more suitable and very lightweight.

Shonuff

I've got the glow
Site Supporter
That's normal. It's the Kawi rock-tumbler pump. You can also hear it while riding if you pay attention.

Good thing that fat turd in post #2 lost some weight.

dirtnut99

Yardsale Master
Ya that rattle is a Kawi thing.. Nothing to be worried about.. It is because the impeller is splined on to the drive shaft and not threaded on to it like SJ's and older 440 Kawi's.. It's annoying, but nothing to worry about..

Like Cannibal said, wrap the box with turf and shorten the straps by tying a couple knots in the straps to get the proper tension..

**Stupid iPhone changed the BOX to Bow.. Sorry...

Last edited:
Top Bottom