300/440/550 Teardown 550 x2

So I have decided my 86 and 87 550s both will be stripped of engine and drive . I want them to be better than new when i am done. I see a lot of people saying its not worth the work to rebuild these old skis but I need a project :)
I work with boats 150k and up but this is about the only project I can afford. I am just looking for advice since i am pretty new to skis and want to start the project out right with some direction I already have a plan in mind but would really appreciate some input!

My plan is as follows....

Remove
Engine
Drive
All fittings etc..... Cables....

Refoam
Repair all the damn cracks in the glasswork
Paint
Turf

As for the engine and drive inspect/rebuild as needed

professor961

Selling all X2 and 650 parts - message me!
If you don't have a repair manual like a Chilton's - get one. You'll want it for all the torque values and such.
Complete disassembly is good, and repair / upgrade all your parts prior to reassembly.
Not sure what you intend to refoam - if the interior hull foam is bad that's one thing - something I've never run into - your common cracks are at the front point of the hood - you can reinforce that area on the interior of the hull without changing the contour of the exterior.
As for the engine, you might want to look into dropping a 650 engine into one. The engines are cheap and plentiful, and it creates a totally different ski than a 550 powered machine.
Best wishes - keep us informed on the progress. Prof

professor961

Mmmm 650 sounds good. One of the skis has a big crack in the aft section topside the foam inside is dry and falls apart pretty easily.

That does not sound good - you sound like you are in the right setting to repair the damage though - remember not to ever use polyester resin on personal watercraft - show us a pic and lead us through how your repair goes - if we run into the same damage someday we'll have a heads up - Prof

Pretty ugly
picture.php

professor961

That does not look bad at all. Get rid of all the rotted mat.
I would just dremel out a bit of this damage, dig and vacuum out what rotted foam you can, and refoam. Then simply glass over and smooth the area. Does not look bad at all.

Prof

Update.... No pics sry.. will have some soon.
Ski is completely stripped down being prepped for paint.
Still have not decided on color thinking white.. black??
Paint bilge area with awlgrip white.
Problems.... Helicoil pump bolts... Cannot remove nut off of throttle? :( Ive tried EVERYTHING. But did not spend a lot of time on it. Found the pistons and cylinders are :):):):). suprised... but would give good compression but would prolly crap out 1/2 thru the season. Thinking of getting a reman.
Hmmm.. things ive been undecided on pump location for bilge pump... was going to use 1/4 starboard 5200 it to the hull and then use a tap screw to secure the pump and run it forward near the exhaust. Well thats all for now im sure someone has had a problem with the helicoils was going to go bigger... cause it ripped out all the material but was thinking of other ways... plexus 5200..yyyeeah prolly not a good idea

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
no need to mess with glueing starboard down.

simply 5200 the bottom of the bilge pump where you want it(probably next to the drive coupler) wait 1 day, or 7 if you got the slow 5200. and clip the rest of the bilge into the bottom piece. should never move. i have two glued to the bottom of my hull this way. works great.

I know Kawi would recommend their SMC repair kit but what works well i was just wondering i had a few small spots was just gonna use body filler for that and 4oz roving for the nastys.

Top Bottom