the trivial complaints thread

It just saddens me what this country has come to. Everyone wants more and more out of the worker for less. Most of the general public hasn't studied enough history to see what our grandparents/great grandparents fought for in terms of workers rights.

Something as simple as the 40 hour work week was a huge battle 80-100 years ago. It seems we are getting back to that again.

I see things a bit differently. We have created an instant gratification society that is encouraged to buy things they want instead of what they need with money they don't even have, all without having to actually work. When I say "without willing to work" I'm not just talking about lazy people that just don't want to work... I'm talking about how society is working its tail off to use technology to automate everything. I work in IT and have experienced what most call "downsizing" at multiple companies. Why pay a worker 30-40K a year when I have a 10K server running scripts that can do the job of 100 workers? My workers also work 24/7 and not 40 hours a week and don't need health benefits. It sucks, but technology is growing exponentially and they are working on AI as well. To me, fixing bad trade deals and keeping jobs in the US is only a temporary solution to a much, much bigger problem.

As far as not tech type jobs, ask any business owner if they only put in 40 hours a week. Most small business owners I know put in well over 60 hours a week and in an economy like this, I bet they are working even more and making less themselves. To me, the scariest part looking at 80-100 years ago is how similar the income equality gap has increased leading up to the great depression. Heaven help us if history truly does repeat itself.

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
I work 40 then go home and do another 2-4 per day in the garage. If there is overtime at work I take it. Overtime is seasonal when equipment is shut down for maintenance. I work a union job with great health benefits, pension and annuity paid per hour as well. Every day you get older is hours you don't get back. And if the company is finding ways to short change you, you're losing.

A few guys at work have received a call about a class action lawsuit for back pay. Claiming they haven't been paid correctly when relief is late.

E.g. you come in a half hour early everyday and your relief is consistently 15 minutes late. You lose 45 minutes per day.

Aside from that, the issue I see is all the more for less mentality. The boss wants more out of every worker while our dollar earns us less. The only ones winning are the ones on top. What we need is to strengthen the middle class so that the economy can grow again.

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
As for small business owners, of course they have to work a ton of hours. There is normally not enough income in a small business early on to be able to pay a large enough workforce for the owner to work less.

The goal of small business is the payoff 10-15-20 years down the line when it becomes stronger and earns more.

Unsolicited advice from a$$ hat coworkers. Trust me If I wanted an opinion on how to spend my money, spend my time, or run my marriage I would ask anyone but them. I have no respect for their lives and want my life to resemble theirs as little as humanly licoriceing possible.

SXIPro

JM781 Big Bore
Pay at the pump or move your damn vehicle and then pay inside. Do not leave your POS Ford Taurus sitting at the pump while you slowly stroll your fat ass into the station to pick out a Cinnabon, make a coffee, and then chat up the nasty broad with the multiple facial piercings and purple hair at the front desk.

Big Kahuna

Administrator
Was sick all last week with sinus crud......... This gets me a few times a year and It is hard to shake. Go to the Dr, Get a steroid pack. Start feeling better, took last one yesterday morning. Got my Mountain Bikes with me so I can go do a night ride after work, Blow off some steam................... Well, Looks like I am relapsing............ FML

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
It really is a bit of a concern for the 'future.' Whatever you want to qualify as 'the future' anyway... I read something the other day that basically said that 5 million jobs will be lost to "technology' by 2020. To me, that means that "technology" will work for less than a human, so business owners can be more profitable.

The bigger question is, is this savings/ increase in profit necessary in ^^^ that scenario for the business owners (or stock holders) to keep food on the table? Or is it just a way to make more money and buy another yacht?

Question is now that companies will no longer need employees, who is going to be able to afford to buy there products?

Had my Sxr "sold" Monday to a nice gentleman. He got called into work last minute but didn't tell me until 2hrs after he was supposed to be here... I canceled plans and was waiting for him for 1/2 the day. Whatever, nbd.
So we rescheduled for for Tuesday. He texts me at almost midnight and says he got called into work again, can we do Wednesday? I said thats fine, are you coming %100 Wednesday? He says yes I promise, sorry for making you wait. I'll be there for sure!!
well, it's Wednesday and his phone is dead...
Good thing I didn't wait around today.

VXSXH20

Sionis Industries
@SXIPro

I called Safelite auto glass today to have a windshield replaced on a company vehicle, Sholinda answers the call and thanks me for contacting safelite autoglass and how may she be of assistance today..I responded i need a windshield replaced for a company vehicle. I work for ".....blank-our account # is blank......" (we use them all the time) with a big "sigh" and "UMMM"thru her mic and into my speaker she continues and ask me where i am located? I say " Virginia".. a pause of silence comes over the phone and she asks again " Ok Um where you At? " again I retort "Virgina"..

Shes says "OK sir what coast you on?" I said are you kidding me? she says "Nahh what time is it there?" I said " Miss, it is NYC time... She says " Wait whuut?" I shook my head and realize that this call is doomed..she wont be able to figure out a year make and model.. luckily for me she attempted to transfer me to another rep. I cant say that i am surprised as customer svc has dropped everywhere.. but at least shes working i guess? paying taxes? trying to make an effort? i don't know...

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
I would've stayed on the phone for another ten minutes requesting a customer satisfaction survey and made sure to list her name on all answers.

SXIPro

JM781 Big Bore
@SXIPro

I called Safelite auto glass today to have a windshield replaced on a company vehicle, Sholinda answers the call and thanks me for contacting safelite autoglass and how may she be of assistance today..I responded i need a windshield replaced for a company vehicle. I work for ".....blank-our account # is blank......" (we use them all the time) with a big "sigh" and "UMMM"thru her mic and into my speaker she continues and ask me where i am located? I say " Virginia".. a pause of silence comes over the phone and she asks again " Ok Um where you At? " again I retort "Virgina"..

Shes says "OK sir what coast you on?" I said are you kidding me? she says "Nahh what time is it there?" I said " Miss, it is NYC time... She says " Wait whuut?" I shook my head and realize that this call is doomed..she wont be able to figure out a year make and model.. luckily for me she attempted to transfer me to another rep. I cant say that i am surprised as customer svc has dropped everywhere.. but at least shes working i guess? paying taxes? trying to make an effort? i don't know...

I am guessing it was her idiot son that installed my windshield wrong the first time, and then her idiot husband that installed it wrong the second time. Can't find good help these days.....

Top Bottom