Other The What is your biggest Rookie move on a build.

Some of mine...
Spending hundreds on extended plates and CF hull extensions to stop porpusing instead of learning to ride. Now use a shortened D cut stock plate and want to shorten hull
Ride with hood off to try and figure out why it wont accelerate, ski dies, takes on water and sinks like a rock. drag back to crowded boat ramp humiliated
Buying a AM -1 steering plate for my sxi pro... that comes stock with a -1 steering plate stock. Same deal on a AM pole spring tensioner
Saving a few bucks on buying cheaper AM parts, not likeing them, end up buying the better more expensive parts after one ride.
Prying hood liner off hood with a screwdriver and putting it through the hood
Sold my 750xiSS to a friend. motor blew quickly, I felt horrible and bought him a new short block from sbt. transferred it in forgetting to tighten FW bolt, it pushed out the oil pump and blew that motor. Cost me 1500 bucks to sell a ski. WTF

LASTLY, Reading every post in this thread and doubting everything I just rebuilt on my motor/ski over the winter. Most likely spending the weekend double checking it.

Installing a bilge pump. Didn't judge very good where i was gonna drill hole for bilge fitting. Ended up drilling to low long exhaust hose was in the way. Had to drill another hole higher. I knew nothing bout glass at the time. I just covered originally hole with a decal I had gotten from Riva. Stayed that way for several years

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Installing a bilge pump. Didn't judge very good where i was gonna drill hole for bilge fitting. Ended up drilling to low long exhaust hose was in the way. Had to drill another hole higher. I knew nothing bout glass at the time. I just covered originally hole with a decal I had gotten from Riva. Stayed that way for several years

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Ahh the old no measure cut twice trick.

*edit* should of paid more attention to the thread title sorry...

Let your wife surf launch with the fuel knob turned off. Poor SJ took a pounding.
Let your wife try ride AM comp ski, she falls off while hitting the gas and gets nailed by the thrust. 1517529_10152324262535470_5024571558461665295_n.jpg

After changing out dasa head and while indexing the plugs got some pieces of crush washer stuck down the rear cylinder. FFS never indexed plugs ever again.

Last edited:
Also guilty of drilling bilge wrong. Worked great with stock exhaust, not so good with factory pipe head. I now have pvc 90deg fittings on my bilge exits.

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
Explain?... I was planning on doing this soon

Chances are they haven't taken care of there ski and things are falling apart, sure it starts and runs, compression checks out, but then you find things out like a hose was not clamped, or half of the exhaust bolts are missing, the reeds are full of holes, there is 30ft of fishing line wrapped around the drive shaft etc etc...

Chances are they haven't taken care of there ski and things are falling apart, sure it starts and runs, compression checks out, but then you find things out like a hose was not clamped, or half of the exhaust bolts are missing, the reeds are full of holes, there is 30ft of fishing line wrapped around the drive shaft etc etc...

Exactly. I purchased a ski last week and it rode great for a few minutes. Turns out after the "master mechanic" forgot to put the main cooling line back on after he installed a new starter.... Easy fix though. No damage done.

I thought you were talking about a registration/DNR issue. I've had an issue like the one above, engine sounded great, looked good, good compression but then i found it was ready to blow when i took it apart after finding flooding in the magneto cover. Then i found collapsed skirts, pitting on crank snout, tight crank bearings. Luckily i took it apart before my first run or else it couldve been worse.

bird

walking on water
Site Supporter
putting my moped back together after a fresh overbore and thinking the arrow on the piston was meant to point up/down at the time. It's supposed to point in direction of fuel/air flow through the engine.

Rode fine for the first hour, 2nd our of break-in I called my buddy to pick me up outside of town.

So I was sitting here on my lunch break thinking back on some of the stupid stuff I have done when I recalled this one, not build related but still funny and a rookie move as it was still in my early riding days.

I was towing a fellow blaster buddy (known to us as Lucky) back to the beach after he broke down. I thought to myself, "I am sure he won't want to pull that ski up on the beach, I will just pull an awesome double beaching stunt and run both of us up on the beach together!"

Needless to say, after stabbing the gas and getting a good run at the beach with him in tow, my ski hit the sand first and stopped. His ski was obviously still sailing along uninhibited by the sand not rubbing on the bottom of his hull.
He plowed directly into the transom of my boat, cracked the front end of his ski, almost flew completely over the bars onto the back of my ski and was everything but happy with my attempt to beach his ski... Good times...

Last edited:
I totally remember why I hand the wrench work to someone else.

I take great pride in my finish work, be it carpentry, painting...even fiberglass (smaller jobs)

But one thing I'm completely embarrassed by is my first (and current) turf job.

To non anal people it may look pretty decent, But I see every flaw in the damn thing and drives me nuts.. My mistake was using molded on my first crack at it.. That and not having near enough fresh razor blades... At 3am impatience got the better of me, and it pisses me off every time I look at it.

If we get a spell of crappy weather here I'm gonna pull it off and try again... Or maybe find a pro, It was pretty farking frustrating.

Last edited:
have u ever worked on a bob? oh and i had a stock exhaust on it not a b pipe. no way to get hands back there. so i pulled motor mount bolts and sli the engine forward. far faster than screwing with tight spaces.

Top Bottom