This is important

between you and me and the fence post.... We all know this isn't really about the environment. It's SACA using gov't environmental agencies to achieve thier goals. (one of which is to keep all pesky peasants away from "thier" little piece of heaven)

Yes... but the only way you can fight this type of lobbying is with the facts. Much like what was mentioned about Lake Mead. That said... watercraft aren't the issue. I do realize this is simply an anti-boater or anti-pwc group using the (dare I say) Al Gore-esque guise of "OMFG POLLUTION IS DESTROYING OUR PLANET!!!!" to get what they want from the gov't. In my experience, I haven't seen one case where a petition... online or otherwise actually worked. $$$ is a much louder voice when you're pitted against it.

Boris

The Good Old Days
I still believe it's a major "long-shot" for them to be successful in this.

I hope you're right.

We lost our little inlet which had the only "jetski" beach in the area. They turned the entire pass into a no wake zone so the ferries that cart the rich a$$hats back and forth to their private barrier island (thought that was illegal) wouldn't get rocked or god forbid, the old cants get wet.
It was done hush hush and caught all the locals off guard.

I hope you guys have better luck.

Last edited:
I hope you're right.

We lost our little inlet which had the only "jetski" beach in the area. They turned the entire pass into a no wake zone so the ferries that cart the rich a$$hats back and forth to their private barrier island (thought that was illegal) wouldn't get rocked or god forbid, the old :):):):)s get wet.
It was done hush hush and caught all the locals off guard.

I hope you guys have better luck.

Yeah... that sucks. It's happened to us on dog river. But... last year it was repealed. When I last rode through... all the no wake buoys/signs where gone. I guess after a few years of complete, public disobedience it only made sense.

AtomicPunk

Lifetime bans are AWESOME
Site Supporter
We (jet skiers) lost one spot about 15 years ago, then another about 10 years ago for various reasons. Both were perfect proximity to my house. The local windsurfers just got downsized on their hot spot and I was happy to help them with their cause.
Collectively, we all need to stay on top of this and help as much as possible.

Keep us informed Dan.

Waternut

Customizing addict
I was talking to someone at Daytona about this stuff and he made an excellent point IMO. His view on this stuff was motorsports protect the environment in a way. The forests stay forests because dirt bikes and quads use them for recreation. Lakes stay open because boaters use them. The fastest way to turn a forest into a shopping center and a lake into housing is to ban motorsports. It'll be a little harder to argue that point for the ocean though.

WaHoo_1

Surf Swimmer
Received a reply from Mr. Patterson. He said that the "OFW" designation will mostly focus on dock construction and marsh conservation. He is not aware of a motorized vessel ban.
However, banning motorized vessels was discussed at the meeting. Even DEP's own fact sheet says that "they" don't have authority to do that.
This would not be just 2 stroke, not just pwc, but fishing vessels as well. (which is why I find it hard to believe that it could really happen)
Other governmental agencies are involved that may possibly have the authority. SJRWMD & EPA.

right on dan, and I know you know better too, but never "assume" anyone's word for it. What is stated and what transpires in meetings are often two different things unfortunately. :):):):)ers.:sneaky:

(south anastasia communities association) these people have $ and $ talks,its possible to beat them but it takes alot of people showing up at these meetings and voicing opinions and killing the bs before it can even get a start. All the rich pricks killed most the good spots around here before we all started jetsking,once its in the law its alot harder to get rid of than let it happen in the first place.
they can say its about dock building and marsh to disguise their true agenda,sounds to me if you are lucky you will end up with a buncha slow wakes in the spot,fishermen will still be able to walk in there so doubt you will see much fight there.

Anyone with information concerning this motorized bad call Peggy (AWA florida rep) and give her as much info as possible about it.

She is aware of the "Outstanding Florida Waterway act" that has nothing to do with banning boats...

She needs to know the organization behind the motorized ban, where it applies to and other important info..

her number (850) 566-6778

don't hesitate to call her about any issues in Florida that pertain to access.

FlightPlanDan

Don'tTrustAfartAfter50
Sorry it took so long, but "boating" IS threatened by this. I just returned from speaking with the owner of Devil's Elbow fish camp. She has documentation of everything. More organizations are involved...NERR (national esturine research reserve), the audubon society, Earth Balance, University of Florida and more along with DEP, SJRWMD, EPA etc....

I've left a message with Peggy (above slutty post)
The Devil's Elbow owner will be happy to share all info she has.

The way they are doing this is very shady. DEP is reversing thier own recent decision.
All data being used is from NERR. (who's ceo and other official were just indicted for fraud)
The Tallahassee panel that will make the final decision is made up of eco-activists including earth balance!

More as I get it.

FlightPlanDan

Don'tTrustAfartAfter50
Some corrections:
1. DEP was at the meeting. It was the "one" meeting they are required to hold prior to moving forward.
2. SACA is only partially responsable for pushing this forward. A local real-estate agent/broker (Pat Hamilton) is pushing the hardest.
3. The meeting was not organized by residents to protest the beach driving ban.

Peggy Mathews:
http://www.mwbio.us/biographies.html

She is our contact in Florida for access issues. Feel free to call her if you hear anything about possible lake closures and removing beach access. She will fight for our right to be on the water. That's why everyone should be a member of the AWA, because without them we will get shut down eventually. We don't want to end up like California and other places where it's next to impossible to get out in the surf.

She is contacting some people in St. Augustine right now to see how she can help us.

Last edited:

WaHoo_1

Surf Swimmer
(south anastasia communities association) these people have $ and $ talks,its possible to beat them but it takes alot of people showing up at these meetings and voicing opinions and killing the bs before it can even get a start. All the rich pricks killed most the good spots around here before we all started jetsking,once its in the law its alot harder to get rid of than let it happen in the first place.
they can say its about dock building and marsh to disguise their true agenda,sounds to me if you are lucky you will end up with a buncha slow wakes in the spot,fishermen will still be able to walk in there so doubt you will see much fight there.

exactly... it's usually much easier to fight something not yet on the books rather then getting existing law overturned or amended.

Top Bottom