"Thought I'd never be posting in here" now what?

DsmRacing

Wannabe Freerider
I'm going to try to show pics, but if they don't work, go to my gallery and look under my pictures for "carnag". Can some one please explain how this happened after 2 rides since owning this damn thing. Is it because I'm missing the front bolt for the girdle kit? Is it because I flushed the motor wrong (really piss me off), ran the hose to the pisser that connects to the head and tried starting motor. Or too lean or etc.....

Better question is, what can I do? Can it be repaired, or do I have to replace the cylinder? This sucks, just got new bars, grips, bilge, and now I can't ride!

Thanks,
Chad

Attachments

• DSC01193.JPG
    DSC01193.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 366
  • DSC01195.JPG
    DSC01195.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 415
  • DSC01197.JPG
    DSC01197.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 313
  • DSC01198.JPG
    DSC01198.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 454
  • DSC01199.JPG
    DSC01199.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 234

DsmRacing

Wannabe Freerider
And Some More

Here are some more pictures of the cracked cylinder and the ski and pissers so you see how I flushed it.

Attachments

• DSC01194.JPG
    DSC01194.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 201
  • DSC01196.JPG
    DSC01196.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 194
  • DSC01199.JPG
    DSC01199.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 186
  • DSC01200.JPG
    DSC01200.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 295
  • DSC01201.JPG
    DSC01201.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 230
could definately be a combination of no girdle bolt and your method of flushing. it looks like the way youre flushing, with that tiny line, doesnt provide enough pressure to keep the cooling jacket filled. it would seem that the water would go in through the head (maybe some coming out the other pisser) and straiht down into the cylinders then pool up only as high as the exhaust manifold then drip out the pump. that crack could be the level in which the water pooled up in the cyl jacket...... just a theory.

SuperJETT

So long and thanks for all the fish
I would say it's more a result of the missing girdle stud causing uneven pressure on the water jacket.

That looks fixable possibly, but it would have to be welded while under pressure, those transfers reported, then decked (which would require recutting the domes) and even then might be questionable.

DsmRacing

Wannabe Freerider
so jbweld is out of the question huh? Welded under pressure, I understood, you lost me the rest of the way. Anybody know of a place in florida that can fix this, Jr Magoo's? or is it cheaper to get another cylinder? I'd like to return it the way it was, it was fast as hell, not sure on the bottom, but I think it hit hard.

Thanks,
Chad

i forgot to mention, in my little theory, that the engine was overheating where there wasnt any water. did it crack while flushing or while riding? definately a girdle issue.

i dont think itd be that hard to fix. install a girdle bolt first. then weld it across. make sure to do the weld in small increments. in other words, dont let the welder go all the way across in one swipe, because the heat will distort the metal and possibly muck up your cylinder block mating surfaces. for instance, just weld for about 3 seconds then put a wet rag over the entire area for 30 seconds, then weld for another 3 seconds and so on.

the area that is cracked is above the transfer ports and should not affect your ports/porting.

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
SuperJETT said:
I would say it's more a result of the missing girdle stud causing uneven pressure on the water jacket.

That looks fixable possibly, but it would have to be welded while under pressure, those transfers reported, then decked (which would require recutting the domes) and even then might be questionable.

I am curious...why would the transfers need to be reported? The crack is in the water jacket area, well above the transfer ports.

SuperJETT

sflsurfrider said:
if the crack isnt in the ports, no reporting would be necessary. darin may have thought that the crack was in the ports too.

Yep.

What I worry about is that where the crack ends is a stress point, so it needs to be ground out and welded to be fixed.

DsmRacing

Wannabe Freerider
Alright guys, I've called and spoke to a few welders and pwc shops. I guess having a replacement done is out of the question since HPT I don't think exists anymore, and according to the original owner, the motor has a lot of work done to it, including porting. I am going to attempt to have it welded by S & S Welding, and hope for the best. I have a guy trying to track down a girdle bolt like mine, if no avail, do you guys know where I can get another and what gaskets need to be replaced.

The best bet is to remove the cylinder correct or leave it bolted in? You guys confused me with that under pressure thing.

Thanks again,

Chad

SuperJETT said:

this happened to me last year.....missing girdle stud = cracked cooling jacket after awhile....

overheating would just make the chances of cracking more likely.....

:banghead:

SuperJETT

George Grabowski (Mr. HPT) is retired, dealing with health issues last I heard. I should give him a call just to see how he's doing.

He built me a couple of engines over the years, one for my SXi and one for my SJ. Both super strong and reliable.

WaveDemon

Not Dead - Notable Member
SuperJETT said:
George Grabowski (Mr. HPT) is retired, dealing with health issues last I heard. I should give him a call just to see how he's doing.

He built me a couple of engines over the years, one for my SXi and one for my SJ. Both super strong and reliable.
he's still active on the newsgroups.

DsmRacing

Wannabe Freerider
Hey Idok,

What was the outcome? Saved it, How was it done? Final Cost? Who did it?

Wavedemon,
Nice pic, riding again I take it. Did you get your new ski? Last time I rode was at your house, 2nd time on the damn ski :banghead: Live and Learn I guess.:banghead:

WaveDemon

Not Dead - Notable Member
DsmRacing said:
Hey Idok,

What was the outcome? Saved it, How was it done? Final Cost? Who did it?

Wavedemon,
Nice pic, riding again I take it. Did you get your new ski? Last time I rode was at your house, 2nd time on the damn ski :banghead: Live and Learn I guess.:banghead:
yep I rode a lot this weekend, I pick up my new ski this month maybe at the St. augustine event. Sorry to hear about your ski. that thing ripped.

Last edited:

DsmRacing

Wannabe Freerider
Alright Guru's, I still need the following questions answered so that I can proceed with getting this fixed:

I have a guy trying to track down a girdle bolt like mine, if no avail, do you guys know where I can get another and what gaskets need to be replaced?

The best bet is to remove the cylinder correct or leave it bolted in? You guys confused me with that under pressure thing.

Thanks again,

Chad

im not sure what kind of kit that is, but it looks like it works just like a riva kit. if its anything like the riva kit, throw them all away and go for the ADA kit like im doing. im getting a hardware kit from JR Magoos. im sure he has more. ive had 3 riva bolts snap in 2 yrs.... the part that bolts into the case.

i have some extra riva hardware if you need it, but i wouldnt recommend it.

Top Bottom