Thrust trim setup help needed

I am hoping one of you on here can help me. I have a Thrust (non-pro) trim setup on my BAM with a bored Yamaha steering nozzle, Thrust cable, and an Odyssey brake lever. The issue I am having is that I don't seem to be getting as much throw as I should and I cannot determine if its the steering nozzle, the cable, or the lever. I have a few questions. Where should the steering nozzle be when not pulled? 0 degrees? That's where I have it set now. It looks like a RRP or Thrust trim lever will give me more pull compared to my Odyssey lever, true? I actually went and bent my lever out farther from the bars yesterday and did get more angle out of the nozzle but nothing compared to my buddys setup. The cable end adjustments at the pump end have nothing to do with the amount of throw, correct? Those adjustments are just for cable stretch and to adjust the position of the nozzle when the lever is not pulled, right?

Here is my friends nozzle at full pull with the same system except he has a RRP lever and Thrust steering nozzle.
IMG_20191214_110901.jpg

And here is mine at full pull:
IMG_20191217_195858.jpg

Here is how his is adjusted at the cable end:
IMG_20191214_110936.jpg

and mine:
IMG_20191218_151528_01.jpg

His nozzle at no pull:
IMG_20191214_110827.jpg

And mine:
IMG_20191218_153846_01.jpg

I just want to confirm that a new lever will get me the added throw before spending the money.

Can you quick swap levers with your buddies and see if it make a difference?

Tighten up the slack in the cable a little would help too.

Jr.

Standing Tall
Staff member
Site Supporter
Go to your local bike shop and grab a BMX or MTB lever? They are about $10 and have a variety of bends
I use a Tektro FX-3. Works Great! Cheap enough I keep a spare in case I break one.

Attachments

• 68A3F04B-F8B8-49E6-9D53-1D150E3F0F71.jpeg
    68A3F04B-F8B8-49E6-9D53-1D150E3F0F71.jpeg
    165.4 KB · Views: 41
When you pull the lever all the way with your hand, can you manually push up the the steering nozzle the rest of the way for more angle? Or is it binding or being stopped by something else?

If you can manually pull the steering nozzle up to a higher angle then yes you’ll need to mess with the lever and get it more throw somehow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am going to try swapping levers with my buddy but that is kind of a problem as he is a few hours away. I cannot take any more slack out of the cable or the resting position of the nozzle will increase.

The Odyssey lever is a mtb lever. Its the exact same one that JetManiac sells.

Yes, when the trim lever is pulled in, I can grab the nozzle and pull it up more, a bunch more.

Stretch on the cable should not lessen the pull. If anything it would just change where the nozzle is at when resting or full pull.

The Odyssey lever is a mtb lever. Its the exact same one that JetManiac sells.

I think that Odyssey lever doesn't have as much throw as the others. Most people use that with the x-metal trim which is a straight cable pull that requires about half the lever pull as the the thrush systems do to get the same trim angle.

I think that Odyssey lever doesn't have as much throw as the others. Most people use that with the x-metal trim which is a straight cable pull that requires about half the lever pull as the the thrush systems do to get the same trim angle.

I am convinced this is the case. Throw is just another way of saying how far you can move the cable in or out. The only thing that controls the amount of cable movement is the lever. I am going to see Joe on Saturday so I am going to try swapping levers to see what happens.

This all the way. Look at the difference of the odyssey and thrust levers. My brother in law has xscream trim with an odyssey lever and I have thrust pro as well as their lever. There’s a big difference in lever throw.
49fa77f13b56a09e6b22fbbc8b00ca9c.jpg

MTB levers and BMX levers have different pull ratios. A BMX lever will not physically move the cable as far if pulled from all the way out at rest to all the way in to the bar than a MTB lever will. MTB levers are for use with V brakes and cable disk brakes, these require more cable "travel". BMX levers are for use with old hat brakes or 990 style BMX rim brakes.

Odyssey levers are available in both pull ratios so this may be your problem?

I would go to your nearest bike shop and but a quality MTB brake lever, like an AVID brand one, these are the poop, and have adjustable pull ratios if you get a good one.

The pic above illustrates my point pretty well. Look at the Odyssey lever on the left and compare it's pivot point to the other 2,. Much closer to the cable entry to the lever = not much cable travel

JetManiac

Stoked
Site Supporter
Vendor Account

Second this. XS trim is straight pull trim designed to use the Odyssey lever which is included with all XS trim systems. You can also compare the Odyssey with the RRP lever which is also a straight pull trim system. Thrust trim uses a pulley for a mechanical advantage, but needs a lever with more throw to make up for the cable needing to be pulled twice as much to move nozzle the same distance. Switch to the Thrust lever is the best match for a Thrust system.

Top Bottom