Time to try something new.

Wolf Child

Just Another Octard
Since I ride the bike in the winter, it's jet ski project time.

This is a little undertaking I've been thinking about for a while and am finally gonna do it.

And before anyone asks: "Why a 550?". It's simple, they are cheap and if I dont like it I'm not any real money. if I DO like it, i can take what I've learned from this build and apply it to a modern machine later.

Step one:

Acquire donor hull for the low low price of a half a tank of gas to go get it.

It's a major HOS, but it doesn't matter because this sucker is about to meet Mr. sawzall, so the rough appearance is the least of it's worries.

jetskiproject003a.jpg

Step two:

I took some measurements and marked my indicators on the hull. Then I took pics and went to work with PS to layout my plan to see how it would look, and how close the lines would be so I know where I will have major glass work not only for build up, but strength as well. over all it doesn't look like it'll be too bad, but things like this have a way of taking on a life of their own SO I wont get too cocky just yet.

Basically the plan is this. I'm removing most of the gunwales from the tray area and making a solid rear platform, then I'm going to install foot straps in surf stance location. the hood and nose will be chopped down about 1.5 -2.5" total. basically as much as I can and still have clearance for the flame arrestor and hood liner. the pole mount is also going to be recessed an additional inch, so the pivot point should drop almost 3" if I'm lucky.next is to shorten the pole itself about 3-4".

Once all this is done, I should have a pretty interesting little 550 to blast around on. At least as far as experiments go. if this works out, I will do this to a more modern ski, but I figured I'd start with something disposable first and if it works, COOL. it it breaks in half and sinks, LOOK AN ARTIFICIAL REEF!

Step three:

Hello, Mr Kawasaki, meet Mr. SAWZALL!

jetskiproject004.jpg

I wont be cutting the hood and nose till I have the tray area defoamed and cleaned out.

Step four:

Let the defoaming begin!

jetskiproject006.jpg

jetskiproject005.jpg

I'd like to keep the rear exhaust, but I'll have to have the pipe remade with the bend closer to the bulk head if I do. I don't think its worth the trouble so it'll most likely end up side exhaust like "The Short Bus". But I have plenty of time to figure out logistics as I go along.

chad

I pretty much love beer
Site Supporter
Doing something a little different is cool in my book !
People will wonder... what the hell is he driving
good luck , I ll be watching this one

You gunna put a seat on that it kinda looks like a 3d

just kidding. i had this idea too but i dont have the skills for that. only problem i could see with it is that it would probably be hard to ride if you wernt in the foot straps in tight carves and stuff.

you should put straps in surf stance and also a wide stace like and x2

Wolf Child

Just Another Octard
You gunna put a seat on that it kinda looks like a 3d

just kidding. i had this idea too but i dont have the skills for that. only problem i could see with it is that it would probably be hard to ride if you wernt in the foot straps in tight carves and stuff.

you should put straps in surf stance and also a wide stace like and x2

On my other 550 I can actually lay the ski all the way over and carve harder standing on the gunwales than I can stayin in the tray. Thats where this idea was born from, at least for me.

I've also been toying with the idea of multiple straps, but dont want to clutter the deck too much.

But lowering the hood, nose, and pole mounts is more an attempt at loweing the center of gravity than pure asthetics. Idealy, this will turn out to be an awsome set up for surf riding. But, if the hull still proves too tippy I have another option planned out to widen the hull. sort of like tubbies made from another 550 hull.

this whole project is a "what if". The goal is to test the idea before doing it to a real boat where I cold easily ruin the hull on a "what if".

Wolf Child

Just Another Octard
are you going to curve the sides up slightly like on the hydrospase skiis? killer idea!!!:Banane35:

at first I wasn't going to. but after removing the sides of the tray I noticed that I either have to build up the center or make the deck concave since the center is naturally lower than the bondline.

so concave it will be.

probably be easier to keep your feet on with it concave too
What will you call it? the Flatbed? Are you keeping in track with your vehicular names aka shortbus?

Last edited:

Wolf Child

Just Another Octard
probably be easier to keep your feet on with it concave too
What will you call it? the Flatbed? Are you keeping in track with your vehicular names aka shortbus?

HAHAHAHAHA!
I actually hand thought of it, but thats good.:fing02:

the short bus got it's name for a couple reasons. one was because after I painted it my G/F said it looked like a school bus. the other reason is because I ride like a retard. :crazy:

On my other 550 I can actually lay the ski all the way over and carve harder standing on the gunwales than I can stayin in the tray. Thats where this idea was born from, at least for me.

I've also been toying with the idea of multiple straps, but dont want to clutter the deck too much.

But lowering the hood, nose, and pole mounts is more an attempt at loweing the center of gravity than pure asthetics. Idealy, this will turn out to be an awsome set up for surf riding. But, if the hull still proves too tippy I have another option planned out to widen the hull. sort of like tubbies made from another 550 hull.

this whole project is a "what if". The goal is to test the idea before doing it to a real boat where I cold easily ruin the hull on a "what if".
Ill im saying is for 4 straps 2 in surf style and 2 using the edges to give a x2 type stance.
what do you mean tippy. that "tippyness" just means you can lay it down in a turn faster

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
I have 2 650SX hulls. After I get a good running engine for my SX, I want to do a project like this on my extra hull.

Seems like fun to build something out of the norm. WTG.

Top Bottom