Tim's SN build

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
starting out with a stock 1990 square hull. aluminum pole, umi steering, umi 4 deg. bars, odi grips

motor and pump are already taken care of(61x, b pipe, ada head, tdr waterbox, tbm pump hub, solas 14.5-18, riva groovy plate, riva intake grate, but its time to bring the hull up to date.

this build is going to involve a refoam, rear bondline repair, footholds, hood mod, lowered hood, re shaped gunwhales, possibly a reshaped nose, and roundnose pole.

heres some pics and to start we are wondering if it would be better to try and repair the rear bondline or just cut it off and reinforce.

Attachments

• tims SN build 008.jpg
    tims SN build 008.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 200
  • tims SN build 009.jpg
    tims SN build 009.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 191
  • tims SN build 010.jpg
    tims SN build 010.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 238
  • tims SN build 011.jpg
    tims SN build 011.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 247
  • tims SN build 007.jpg
    tims SN build 007.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:

Bobert540

Site Supporter
My rear bondline is cracked like yours. I was wondering how to fix the problem as well. I was thinking about cutting it and reinforcing since I tend to land on the tail a lot.

D-Roc

I forgot!
i cut mine right off to keep the back end of the ski short and a little smoother waterflow for tail landings. it lasted all season without fail. just try and keep the ride plate long enough to cover the turn nozzle so you don't crack it off on a tail landing that hits bottom. Also you might want to cut the tray open and remove the foam so you can reinforce from the inside of the bondline area. Looks like a nice winter project, keep us updated.

Yea be careful. I stripped a drive shaft and midshaft from landing on my turning nozzle one time.:thumbsdown: I was running a d cut and landed on my azz end.

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
we all run long rideplates here... its a long ride to get out to the ocean.... i tried it with a d cut once and it was miserable. no one has shortened hulls or setback pumps so i think we shuold be alright without cracking any pump parts. gotta start kicking those away though so the ski wont land so hard.

we are already ripping his tray open to refoam so it shouldnt be a problem to reinforce from the inside back there. its also going to get the exhaust tube from a roundnose to open up the exhaust a bit. the SN tube is smaller.

that landing also ripped the battery tray right out and gave the battery a good hit(has some bright white stress marks)... we are going to see if it needs to be replaced by next spring.

thanks for the input everybody

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
i got some pics for ya

Attachments

• tims SN build 2 004.jpg
    tims SN build 2 004.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 267
  • tims SN build 2 005.jpg
    tims SN build 2 005.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 256
  • tims SN build 2 003.jpg
    tims SN build 2 003.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 273
  • tims SN build 2 002.jpg
    tims SN build 2 002.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 231
  • tims SN build 2 001.jpg
    tims SN build 2 001.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 214

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
cut the gunwhales-foamed and glassed them, foamed and glassed over the nose, cut the hood lower, cut out the baffle, and cut the tray open to refoam and seal some stuff up.

Attachments

• tims SN build 2 008.jpg
    tims SN build 2 008.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 244
  • tims SN build 2 009.jpg
    tims SN build 2 009.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 210
  • tims SN build 2 010.jpg
    tims SN build 2 010.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 204
  • tims SN build 2 012.jpg
    tims SN build 2 012.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 213
  • 61x parts 029.jpg
    61x parts 029.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 266

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
cut a little bit off the front bumper as well. trying to round out the ol' square

heres a pic as it stands now... needs the hood foamed and then a liner built for it.

Attachments

• cut bumper and hood 001.jpg
    cut bumper and hood 001.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 246
  • cut bumper and hood 002.jpg
    cut bumper and hood 002.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 219
  • cut bumper and hood 003.jpg
    cut bumper and hood 003.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 243
  • whole ski.jpg
    whole ski.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 300
How did you glass the nose like that? I've seen a few, and just wondered how you get the shape so perfect.
It really Looks great man! :arms::arms::arms:

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
its far from perfect... we got the tray re foamed tonight before going out and drinking.

there is still plenty or fairing work to do on the entire hull. still have to foam and shape the hood and build a hood liner too.

its just time taken with sanding foam until you get it 85 % to the way you want it. After that is a little cabosil or fairing compound to even out the dips in the glasswork.

i have some more pics from tonight i should post up but i went to hibaichi then the bar for my birthday so im not in the right form to do that.

maybe tomorow ill post some pics

Top Bottom