Tips for Removing paint from Rickter

I want to paint the belly of my Rickter. The paint and sticker that Rickter puts is brittle but some areas are on like cement. Any tricks to this?

thanks

whooiedog

AKA El Hefe
When I first started using them, I think I burnt the paint in a couple places.....so I would deff recommend testing it out on something before turning it loose on your baby.

The title says removing paint... the post says sticker... ??

Removing sticker/decal... couple ways to do it... heat gun and razor blade is by far the easy way to do large decals on flatter surfaces.. eraser wheel is nice for smaller ones or not flat surfaces... either way works.. wheel just takes longer to cover ground...
If using a heat gun and razor.. don't over heat, don't dig into hull.. keep the heat close to the blade..
If using wheel.. don't run it super fast.. keep it moving... let cool often...
Either way follow with adhesive remover to get any left over residue...

If it's paint that's a whole nother chapter...

Experience: owning a body shop...

Sent from inside a beer can

I used the wheel on some decals that had been baked onto a 650sx for 25 years. They were on there good. The wheel took them right off. Bought the wheel at a local auto zone.

the stickers have a clear coat paint over them.. super lame. im going through the same process. im thinking just take an orbital sander to it and rough it up, clean with paint thinner/acetone and go hard with some cheap paint. its gonna wear off no matter what if you beach your ski, might as well make it easy to touch up.

That's what I figured you were talking about... the wheel or heat gun does you no good...
Best bet is to get the decal removed before painting.. I've had issues before where the decal would wrinkle under the paint, then you have an even bigger mess to fix... this only happens in certain cases, it might work, it might not... I would try it on a small portion of it before painting the whole thing to see what will happen.. or see if someone who has painted one will chime in and know weather or not it's going to be an issue...
Other than that.. hit it with some 320 to 400 grit paper on the sander and knock the shine off then paint it...

Actually... are you sure it's cleared over and not a clear layer of vinyl? Like I ssid, I've never touched one.. I'd think they've been doing it long enough to know clearing over a decal will eventually flake.... or is it even a decal and not paint? They could have just did a clear vinyl over everything.. I'd definitely check with someone who has painted one before busting into it to avoid a possible problem...

Roseand

The Weaponizer
Site Supporter
I'm pretty sure during the RRP factory tour, they showed them putting decals on and then clearing over them..

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

How dare Rickter make a quality product, lets revolt lol
no doubt its a quality product. just wondering why they dont do gel coat and then install graphic kits just like all the oem companys do... then they could sell multiple graphic kits just like the moto industry does.

clear coat will chip.IMG_1412[1].jpgIMG_1413[1].jpgIMG_1411[1].jpg

Top Bottom